• @douglasg14b@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    5910 months ago

To be fair, the content quality on Lemmy has been about the same from what I’ve seen.

Bots all over the place, low-effort quips instead of discussions bubbling up, lots and LOTS of low-quality armchairing, personal attacks and flaming instead of actual discussion…etc

It was good for a month or so during the reddit 3rd party app purge, but quickly went downhill.

• phillaholic
      link
      fedilink
      810 months ago

Yea but like Lemmy is a bunch of hobbyists running on donations. That’s not saying much for Reddit.

• @atrielienz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      410 months ago

I very specifically don’t experience this but maybe that’s because I’m using sync and have deliberately blocked bots from showing up in my feed.

• @atrielienz@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          110 months ago

This is actually a feature of Lemmy. If you open Lemmy and sign into your account in the browser you can go to content settings and there’s a box you can uncheck for show bot accounts. Be aware this is all bot accounts even helpful ones line automods and such and it will affect the bota that autopost from Reddit as well. You’ll see a downturn in traffic. But I thought it was worth the trouble.

• @Squizzy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      410 months ago

God the quips became so popular and incessant it was really annoying. The comment used to be a good source of relevant information and there were some really funny people in there but now it seems to be drowned out by the same one liners or bots.

• @Trihilis@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      310 months ago

Did you try some of the smaller instances? Big instances will inevitably face the same problems that Reddit has/had. A platform is as good as it’s users, and you can only moderate up to a certain point untill it becomes straight up censorship. Sadly more people also means more trolls and shitposters.

But yeah it’s still annoying and I fully agree with what you said.

• Cyborganism
      link
      fedilink
      310 months ago

I’m on lemmy.ca on a bunch of Canadian communities and it’s not like that at all.

Yes some communities have been under attack by bots and people posting CSAM but otherwise it’s been pretty civil.

• @iegod@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      110 months ago

Truthfully hexbear has a lot to do with it. Could use a fediverse purge of that level of shitposting

• @stillwater@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        10 months ago

No, Hexbear for all its intensity is very specific and limited to how they act and disrupt. There’s tons of reddit-esque comments on lemmy coming from all the sites that aren’t from Hexbear or Lemmygrad users.

• @mayo@lemmy.today
        link
        fedilink
        110 months ago

I’d say .world has been the most reddit-like for me. Overall it’s still good here but I’m also looking forward to it simmering down for a while.

I haven’t actually noticed hexbear at all and I’m on an instance that isn’t defed