Why do you lurk?

I used to be a lurker when on Reddit. I’d post here and there but mostly just kept to myself. It was because something as large as Reddit felt like shouting into the void.

On Lemmy, the communities are small, and so are the instances. Is it lack of something to say, anxiety, or you’re a bot? What’s up!

I find myself being way more active on Lemmy & Mastodon than on Reddit & Twitter.

• @terkaz
    link
    English
    41 year ago

On reddit I tracked a few subs with news and memes, but I didn’t even have an account. On Lemmy I actually posted few articles and news. Being an active user is quite a challenge for me since I’m such an introvert. I have similar concerns to @frogfruit@discuss.online, and because I overthink too much, it takes too long to decide to publish anything. It’s often much easier to simply upvote someone’s opinion, which I mostly agree with, than to create a new reply. Plus I’m not a native English speaker: I’m constantly forward all my messages to google or deepl to make sure that they are grammatically correct. I know that it’s important for growning community not only to have constanly fresh posts but also growing discussion underneath them. I try my best :)

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      English
      11 year ago

It’s also great to have differing cultures. You could install something like Grammarly, which would help you as you type. Besides, most English speakers don’t do it correctly, either.

I’m introverted. People don’t believe it. My Psychiatrist says I’ve learned to adapt, and every one can appear as an extrovert in certain circumstances. It’s like being “in your element”.

I feel comfortable on Lemmy. I didn’t feel comfortable on Reddit. I had thought that others might be the same. I was a little surprised to see how many lurkers there are.