Finished Summer Knight by Jim Butcher. Fourth book of The Dresden Files. Things keep getting worse, stakes keep getting higher, Harry keep going through hell. Same old, same old.

Currently Reading Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King. It was recommended on reddit for books similar to the comic Y: The Last Man. I didn’t used to like Stephen King much before, but I can understand why. Book is 700 pages long, and first 100 or so pages were pretty much just a set up. I didn’t use to have patience for such slow books in my youth, though I am enjoying it now.

What about you guys? What have you been reading?

• @harsh3466@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    310 months ago

In audio form I’m reading (and thoroughly enjoying) Consider Phlebas, by Iain M Banks. It’s kind of a wild ride, but at the same time, kind of contemplative. Pain’s writing is both action packed yet somehow slow and descriptive at the same time.

In dead tree form I’m reading The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson a sort of portal fantasy that’s a melancholy and also contemplative read.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      110 months ago

How are you liking Consider Phlebas? I had heard a lot about Culture series, but couldn’t get into the book, though that was a long time ago, maybe I should give it another try.

The Space Between Worlds sounds interesting, how are you liking it?

• @harsh3466@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        210 months ago

Honestly, I’m having kind of a hard time with Consider Phlebas. It has elements I really enjoy, but these elements keep getting bogged down in (imo) clumsy writing and kind of awful dialog.

There have been really stellar scenes. Like the opening scene that introduces Horza, and a later scene with Horza on an island. But largely I’m just finding it okay.

I’m powering through because I’ve heard really good things about the Culture series, and I hope the subsequent books get better for me, but it may just be that Iain M. Banks is not for me.

As for The Space Between Worlds, I’m really enjoying it. It’s a portal fantasy, which I generally enjoy anyway, but this one has a sense of melancholy desperation that is working really well for me. It’s also dystopian, which is pretty topical considering, y’know, everything.

The premise is also pretty cool, in that you can’t travel to another dimension/earth where your alternate self is still alive, and you can’t travel to dimensions/earths that are too divergent from the “prime” earth that the story takes place in.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          110 months ago

I would wait for you to read more books in Culture series and share your opinion about them.

Yeah, I read the synopsis and really like the concept. Going to give it a try.

• @harsh3466@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            29 months ago

I just finished Consider Phlebas, and I gotta say it was kind of a letdown. The whole third act was a slog. I’m gonna give book two (The Player of Games) a go, but I’m gonna wait a bit and read something else first. (After I finish Space Between Worlds)

• @dresdenOPM
              link
              English
              19 months ago

Good luck, and keep us posted!