Finished Summer Knight by Jim Butcher. Fourth book of The Dresden Files. Things keep getting worse, stakes keep getting higher, Harry keep going through hell. Same old, same old.

Currently Reading Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King. It was recommended on reddit for books similar to the comic Y: The Last Man. I didn’t used to like Stephen King much before, but I can understand why. Book is 700 pages long, and first 100 or so pages were pretty much just a set up. I didn’t use to have patience for such slow books in my youth, though I am enjoying it now.

What about you guys? What have you been reading?

• @Audalin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    210 months ago

Pynchon’s Against the Day. It becomes brilliant once you endure the first N pages.

In fact, Pynchon is now one of my favourite authors.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      110 months ago

Nice. If someone doesn’t know anything about Pynchon, what would you suggest as the first book?

• @Audalin@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

I don’t know - I was unfamiliar with Pynchon before starting Against the Day. I had a list of his books to look into: the choice of my first one was random.

It’s going unexpectedly well for me so far - but such things depend on the reader as much as on the book.

I’ve seen other people recommend The Crying a Lot 49 for that purpose though, probably because it’s much shorter.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          210 months ago

Thanks for the info, will check it out.