Still reading Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King. I am a little over 4/7th of the book (almost 400 pages out of 700 pages). The book wasn’t what I thought it was. It isn’t about the world after all the women fell asleep, it’s about when they stated to fall asleep, with some supernatural stuff mixed in, which I think is present in most of King’s books.

I am enjoying the book, and going to read more of his work. Maybe not right after this though.

What about you all? What are you guys reading?

• @ThtCrzyBstrd@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      29 months ago

I’m noticing similarities, as one would with the same author. I had noticed a marked improvement by the end of Inheritance compared to Eragon, and To Sleep in a Sea of Stars seems to have taken a few steps from there.

It starts with a fairly generic sci-fi setting, humanity having colonized a handful of star systems closest to Sol, our protagonist is a xenobiologist by trade, zero-g interactions, faster than light tech, vacuum of space. Nothing really groundbreaking for the genre but the tropes of science fiction seem well done in my opinion. But it is a departure from the Inheritance Cycle, both in genre and this feels more like adult fiction, though perhaps not too far out of the young adult sphere.

I’m enjoying the book. It’s fun, things make sense within the context of the universe that’s been created.

Oh, and the audio book is narrated by Jennifer Hale, so there’s that.