Still reading Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King. I am a little over 4/7th of the book (almost 400 pages out of 700 pages). The book wasn’t what I thought it was. It isn’t about the world after all the women fell asleep, it’s about when they stated to fall asleep, with some supernatural stuff mixed in, which I think is present in most of King’s books.

I am enjoying the book, and going to read more of his work. Maybe not right after this though.

What about you all? What are you guys reading?

• @dresdenOPM
    link
    English
    19 months ago

It has been a long time since I read the Dune series, maybe I should read it again. How are you liking it?

Have you read rest of the Hornblower series? How is it? I have never read any naval warfare book, except for Master and Commander by Patrick O’Brian in my younger days, didn’t like it much then, but can’t say if I will like it now or not.

• @Uncle_Bagel@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      29 months ago

I love the Hornblower series, but my grandpa was an old Geordie sailor, and i grew up sailing on Lake Erie. I’m actually reading my dad’s old collection of Hornblower and have loved it. Forrester sometimes goes a bit heavy on the sailing jargon, but they are such excellent adventures. Start with Beat To Quarters and if you like it read them in chronological order.

As for Dune, i have been loving the series as well. My only experience prior to reading them was references in other media and watching the 2021 movie, but they are hands down the best series i have ever read.

• @dresdenOPM
        link
        English
        19 months ago

Thanks for the recommendations! I have never actually sailed, or ever have been on any ship (not counting 2-3 mins boat rides in some parks), but will checkout Beat To Quarters. 👍