Finished Chloe Marr by A. A. Milne. I liked the book, but it's very much product of it's time, the way men and women act. Also, if you can get the literary and pop-culture (of that time) references, you'll enjoy it a lot more. As it is, even though I enjoyed reading it, when I wasn't reading it, I didn't feel too much like picking it up.

Read Jujitsu Kaisen Vol. 3. Continuing my 1 volume per month for JJK. Same as The Dresden Files. Don't want to finish all the published work and wait for new ones. So, once a month will keep me supplied for quite a while.

Read Meet the Maliks - Twin Detectives: The Cookie Culprit by Zanib Mian. Got it for my kid, felt a little bit like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but more about muslim family and kids. Read it to see how it is, and I enjoyed it. It's first in the series though, the author has also written Planet Omar series, may try those for kid next.

Starting Death Masks by Jim Butcher.

What about all of you? What have all of you been reading and listening?

• @LilB0kChoy@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    28 months ago

I really liked The Divine Cities trilogy. It was a really interesting world and I like the writing styles. I read all three books back to back in about a week and a half because I found myself thinking about the story in my off time and being pulled back to see what happens next.

I actually went and got Foundryside which is the start of another series by Robert Jackson Bennett.

I’ve read all the Reacher novels up to this one and I like the series a lot. I’ve been a big fan of the Spenser series by Robert B. Parker/Ace Atkins and the Elvis Cole series by Robert Crais and I draw parallels to the Reacher series.

The character is almost super humanly infallible which can take you out of the story a small bit and there’s been an off and on again Bond girl style theme in some which is not my taste. Despite these small gripes of mine the mystery is always well crafted, usually with a reveal you didn’t see coming, and the pacing is well done and really moves the story along.

What do you think of Death Masks? I love the Dresden Files but really wish Butcher would give us a new book each year.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      28 months ago

Interesting. Going to add Robert Jackson Bennet to my list.

I am just starting to get into crime / mystery novels now, so going to check them out. Thanks for the mentions.

I loved Death Masks, as I mentioned above, I don't read much mystery novels, so can't say how it would rank among the detective mystery genre, but as an urban fantasy / Dresden Files novel, it was full of action without any dull moments. Finished it in couple of days.