I just finished Death Masks by Jim Butcher, 5th book of The Dresden Files. Really enjoying the series.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening?

• @shapesandstuff@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    58 months ago

I'm on the final stretch of Well of Ascension in the Mistborn trilogy.
    It has it's weaknesses here and there but all in all it's been pulling me deeper into the world.

• @Risk@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      58 months ago

Yeah, Well of Ascension is the weakest of the three - as is a little typical for Sanderson it acts as a joiner/primer for the final act in HoA.

• @shapesandstuff@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Looking forward to the grand finale thats building up rn and what comes next in HoA then!

My pet peeves are the interchangeable/inconsequential nature of soothing and rioting, elend whining to himself for pages on end ("why oh why can't i protect literally everyone in the entire world at the same time, personally?!") and honestly sometimes the somewhat clumsy writing. Might just be me in the last point.

• @cdipierr@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          38 months ago

While Mistborn is a great entry point into Sanderson for many people, to me, it really feels like a freshman effort. I can't ever bring myself to do a full reread of those books, as they don't feel as polished or as well put together as his later work. Well of Ascension especially feels like it's there because a trilogy needs a middle book.