I just finished Death Masks by Jim Butcher, 5th book of The Dresden Files. Really enjoying the series.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening?

• @cwagner@lemmy.cwagner.me
    link
    fedilink
    48 months ago

After getting it recommended on Lemmy, I had been reading A Memory Called Empire and absolutely loved it. It feels small and huge at the same time (giant empire, but 95% takes place in a single city), spanning long times and only a week (a lot of history talk and simply feels long, but only a week passes), poetic and yet approachable (the Empire has a huge focus on poetry, and while poems are there, it’s not as annoying as in e.g. LOTR).

A nice bonus is that the two main countries (Teixcalaan, the Empire, kinda Aztec-based names) and Lsel station (Old Aramaic based names, according to the author, I’ll have to talk her word for that) are both not modeled after the usual suspects.

Highly recommended.

Yeah, great read and I instantly jumped to Teixcalaan #2 A Desolation Called Peace, which I’m currently reading and also enjoying.

• @cdipierr@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      38 months ago

A Memory Called Empire was a book I stalled on and had to restart, but was such a great read. It's so different from what we get in most space opera, but once I was in, it didn't let go. It took a while to start A Desolation Called Peace, but that one was an equally great ride that I couldn't put down. I'm hoping there will be a third entry!

• @dresdenOP
      link
      English
      28 months ago

A debut duology. Sounds pretty interesting. Going to check it out.

BTW You name feels familiar, do you have other social media accounts with same name?

• @cwagner@lemmy.cwagner.me
        link
        fedilink
        28 months ago

I mean, it's just my name ;) I use it almost everywhere but HN and twitch. But the last time I was active on Twitter was a decade ago ;) unless you mean reddit, obviously.

• @dresdenOP
          link
          English
          18 months ago

Ah, it's possible saw the name on reddit or HN, or maybe even twitter. I haven't been active in a decade either 😀
          Or it could be someone else, with same or similar name.

Well, have fun, familiar looking name person! 😀