I just finished Death Masks by Jim Butcher, 5th book of The Dresden Files. Really enjoying the series.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening?

• @cwagner@lemmy.cwagner.me
    link
    fedilink
    38 months ago

I just finished Death Masks by Jim Butcher, 5th book of The Dresden Files. Really enjoying the series.

It’ll only get better. Not only did Jim Butcher become a better writer over time, Dresden also keeps improving as a person. In current books, nothing is left of the often sexist and annoying loudmouthed man-child from the early books. It’s my favorite example of growth of a character over a series.

And that said, how did I manage to miss Battle Ground? Apparently it came out half a year after Peace Talk, and I did not realize it. Oh well, guess I now know my next book :D

• @dresdenOP
      link
      English
      18 months ago

That's great to know. Death Mask is a definite step up from the previous books. I was afraid I may get burned out with the pace I am reading the series, but finished the book in couple of days.

Hope he start releasing books more regularly now. He did release a short-story and novella in Dresden Files world last year, and a Cinder Spires novel this year. He mentioned he will complete next Dresden Files novel by next year (it's at 24% on his site), so probably a 2025 release. It will probably end up taking a decade to get the final novel…