Finished Dead Beat by Jim Butcher. Loved the book. Series keep getting better and better.

After much deliberation on what to read next, went with Valour’s Choice by Tanya Huff. Book 1 of “military sci-fi” series Confederation. Tanya Huff was recommended a long time ago on reddit, but I wasn’t sure if I was in “military sci-fi” mood, but I am really enjoying the book.

The book is years after you join the Confederation, and it doesn’t hand-hold you by explaining each “alien” term or how each species look like right away, giving you the feel that these words / things are so common that there is no need to explain them, but as the novel progress you start learning what’s what and which species look like what.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening?

• @JaymesRS@literature.cafeM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    24 months ago

I finished The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beale and am wrapping up some novella follow ups.

After that I’m going to work on the Locke and Key Graphic Novels by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez. Then The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner. I read The Thief last year and really enjoyed it, my goal is to work through a bunch of the series I read the firsts of last year when I was discovering what I’d missed.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      24 months ago

I think someone mentioned The Last Unicorn before. How are you liking it?

Lots of books lined up. Have fun!

• @JaymesRS@literature.cafeM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        24 months ago

That was probably me. It was good, a little more traditional fantasy then I’ve read in a while it starts slower and speeds up. But it’s clear why it’s on so many best fantasy of all time lists.