• memfree
      link
      fedilink
      -76 months ago

They got mad at her when an item was missing out of a 4-bag $80 order (they unbagged and checked everything there on the counter).

That one seems valid. That person got burned before with the staff not bothering to do their job and were NOT going to short their friend whatever item(s) the staff kept for themselves. Sure, you can say the counter girl didn’t do the bagging, but she’s the one that the customer is supposed to tell, and it is hard not to be angry when you’ve paid for stuff and you’re getting shorted – AND there’s almost surely another person relying on you to get it right this time. It shouldn’t take so much effort to just get the stuff you paid for.

• @Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        116 months ago

But you can nicely check your items and say “ope looks like one of the fries got missed” and not make a big stink about it

• memfree
          link
          fedilink
          -26 months ago

That’s true, but I don’t know how much of a stink was made. If someone is unbagging everything at the counter, they’ve probably been burned before, so I can see some reason to take a harsh tone – enough to show they’re tired of the BS. If, instead, they started throwing things and screaming obscenities, yeah, that’d be an overreaction.

• @ira@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          16 months ago

Meanwhile on the other side of the coin, people have literally been shot and killed for having an extra item in their bag that they didn’t pay for.

• memfree
          link
          fedilink
          -16 months ago

… but they WEREN’T doing their job. I’ve been a counter cashier at a burger joint. Most of the job was getting the order correct and taking in money properly, but I also has to to things like add extra relish packets and see that I was giving them the correct food. That’s the job. You give the customer what they ordered. That is the EASY part. The hard part is dealing with the people trying to scam you with bill-switching/wrong-change schemes (though I suspect those are less common as fewer people use cash now).