• @GUBERNACULUM@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    3105 months ago

This is Culver’s. They’re a burger fast food joint located throughout the Midwest and have things called “Scoopy Night” where a percentage of the proceeds go toward a specific cause. Schools, dance groups, etc can partake and the kids who attend that school/dance group/etc help take orders and deliver food to tables. Not quite as dystopian as OP has made it seem.

• Deceptichum
    link
    fedilink
    2045 months ago

So many Americans in here defending this, get a clue you idiots.

• @saltesc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      405 months ago

I’m Australian and this reminds me of working at the local fish and.chip store when I was 12. I asked the local general store, but they’d only pay me to do odd jobs, the local bakery said no,.and the local fish and.chip shop said I could help take orders and.package meals during their busy hours each evening.

My Lego collection grew, I got real good at Time Crisis 3, and I went to see a movie each Saturday. It was awesome. I didn’t see it any different to scoring cash for mowing lawns or washing cars, just stable and they appreciated my help so I felt good too.

If you’d told me I wasn’t allowed, I’d have done it behind your back and said I was going to friend’s houses.

• Deceptichum
        link
        fedilink
        725 months ago

Cool story mate!

Lots of people are fine with bad things they grew up with because it didn’t personally affect them.

• R0cket_M00se
          link
          fedilink
          English
          05 months ago

Do you think kids shouldn’t be allowed to work in any capacity? What if they are self employed? Is that wrong even if they want to?

• Deceptichum
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Yes, and yes.

I think children should be free to focus on more important things than working.

Do you think we should send the kids back to the mines? Some of them might prefer to be out of school. What if they’re a self-employed mine owner?

• @tillary@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              255 months ago

I think there’s a line somewhere and for me the line is whether the job is suitable for children. Like, doing chores around the house or on your grandparents’ farm. Paper route riding a bike. I worked summers at a carnival, and at a pool when I was a bit older. Low physical labor, low responsibility, low customer interaction, family friendly environments. You’re right it should never interfere with education.

If I saw a kid at the register of a fast food place or a store, I would turn around immediately and never return. Just leaves a bad taste in one’s mouth.

• @grff@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              115 months ago

Your example is very extreme. Having an after school part time job as you’re growing up will prepare you for quite a bit, and set us apart from our peers that didn’t work, and instead wasted their days after school or on the weekends. I take it you never worked growing up ? It’s building essential life skills, not inhaling noxious fumes working 16 hr days in mines, this isn’t the 1800’s. I loved flipping burgers and making a paycheck at 15

• @BossDj@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                175 months ago

I wasn’t sure where I stood on this and read a lot of comments.

One thing that seems common is that many of those who worked young seem to think it made them better than the other kids somehow. They “wasted” their summer, while you built “essential life skills” unlike the person you’re replying to, who did not? Are you still “set apart” from the person you replied to?

I might think getting thrown into the system at a younger age is the real waste of life. I’ve had a job since I was 15, but I really don’t think it made me better than anyone.

• @garbagebagel@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  35 months ago

It didn’t make me “better” but from talking to people I went to college with (that didn’t get jobs early), I’d definitely say I was more prepared for the workforce.

Also having money was dope and my fast food job was fun. I still enjoyed my life and summer outside of work, even more so because I could afford to do and get shit that my parents might not have been able to give me. It’s not an all or nothing deal it’s just a different life experience. I think it would be infantilizing to take the choice away from teenagers, though it is important to regulate it as shitty people will take advantage of it.

• @roscoe@startrek.website
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              5 months ago

I had a paper route when I was 12.

The work itself wasn’t important but learning responsibility and the value of money was important.

It was the first time I did anything completely on my own without being directed in some way by a parent, teacher, coach, etc. Without that job and after-school/summer jobs I had when I was older there is a good chance I would have made poor financial decisions in early adulthood.

With 18 year-olds getting credit cards shoved in their face the day they show up for orientation, after probably signing up for student loans, it’s probably a good idea for them to have earned money on their own for a while.

• @grff@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                115 months ago

I don’t understand the people down voting you. Having a job growing up taught me a lot of responsibility and how to manage my own money and act in a professional environment. Invaluable skills that you wouldn’t get anywhere else, certainly not school

• @Witchhatswamp@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  45 months ago

These jobs you are speaking of–washing cars, mowing lawns, even kids working in their parents’ store–do you think that is the same as working for a multinational conglomerate handling food with no breaks and minimum wage?

link
                  fedilink
                  15 months ago

Right?

Learning things a little at a time, when the stakes are low/non-existent is the way to go. From early teens to partway through college when you get an off campus apartment you can learn how to apply for a job, how to interview, responsibility, managing your money, responsible credit use, professionalism, bill paying. All this over the course of years, with a support system when you make mistakes (hopefully).

I guess some people think you should just have all that dropped on you like a ton of bricks the day after you get a diploma.

• The Barto
              link
              fedilink
              English
              45 months ago

Do you think we should send the kids back to the mines?

Well, I’m not fucking going down there.

• @Soulg@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              25 months ago

First of all, I generally agree with you that child labor such as in the OP is bad.

That being said, responding to people who had positive experiences with it in their own lives by jumping directly to sending then to the mines is absolutely fucking insane. They are not the same thing.

• @saltesc@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              5 months ago

Sometimes I read comments online and initially think they’re sarcastic but then realise the person’s serious and flexing way above their capacity, usually by straw manning. And here’s one of those moments…

Do you think we should send the kids back to the mines?

facepalm

About as much as you think the police should be shutting down lemonade stands.

• R0cket_M00se
              link
              fedilink
              English
              -95 months ago

I think children should be free to focus on more important things than working.

“Freedom” to do what you want them to and nothing more, not even to earn it over summer break or learn the value of money.

Fuck 'em, just wait until they get out of highschool at 18 before they ever even see real money and have no idea how any of it works, who the predators are, and what the risk is.

• @Esqplorer@lemmy.zip
                link
                fedilink
                65 months ago

Fuck 'em, just wait until they get out of highschool at 18 before they ever even see real money and have no idea how any of it works, who the predators are, and what the risk is.

Why is this worse than the literal same thing at a younger age?

• @saltesc@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                15 months ago

They completely missed an entire part of my initial comment that started this tangent.

Literally, it was all my idea and what I wanted to do.

“Children should be free to focus on things.”

12 year old me: “Cool! I want to work at the local fish and chip store and they already said it’s okay, pleeeeease?.”

“NO!!!”

• R0cket_M00se
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  05 months ago

This place is insane sometimes. In their heads they’re thinking children being forced into labor, obviously that’s not what we’re talking about here. I had various gigs I did as a kid to earn some extra money, snow shoveling in the winter, mowing in the summer, I’m doing much better financially than my peers. Most of the guys I was in the military with were losing their whole paychecks just days after getting them, never having that much money in their lives. No one ever taught them and they never developed the skills on their own.

Say what you will, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with letting a kid work in an entrepreneur kind of fashion or in limited capacity like what you did on weekends, summer break, etc.

You can’t raise someone into an adult if you hand them the keys for the first time on their 18th birthday. Most of us learn by doing and it’s best to get the hands on experience.

• @Nath@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        155 months ago

I don’t know why, but paper boys (yes we were all boys) were some sort of exception to child labour laws. I was selling newspapers when I was 12-13 for 5c ea.

The 80s was a wild place.

link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          5 months ago

And what about those assholes that never wanted to pay? Just pay the kid you cheap ass. I see your cars, your lights are on, I know you’re home motherfucker.

I identified so hard with that “I want my two dollars” kid from Better Off Dead.

• @Nath@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            45 months ago

One of my customers went and died owing me 80c. I just took the loss. But it would have been hilarious to see some young kid chasing the estate for his debt!

• @RecallMadness@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        25 months ago

Amen.

Got money, bought a PC my parents couldn’t afford, learned to code, got a desk job.

Taught me life skills too, like dealing with dickhead managers and customers, time keeping, and just general responsibility.

• @heyoni@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        15 months ago

Honestly it’s the uniform for me. It implies so much like maybe that kids gotta punch in with a time card of has their pay docked.

• circuitfarmer
      link
      fedilink
      05 months ago

I’m American and I totally agree. It feels like there are two different countries here, with the red one generally mooching off of the blue one while simultaneously claiming they’re the “real America”. I’m so tired.

• @jimbo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

There’s hardly anything to defend because there’s nothing here other than a photo with zero confirmed information about what appears in the photo. People are just making baseless assumptions.

• Deceptichum
        link
        fedilink
        25 months ago

Haha okay dumbarse.

Go love child labour some more, maybe enough kids b working low wage jobs and you’ll be a successful nation instead of the failure you are now.

• @Kadaj21@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          25 months ago

I.e. your locally owned mom-and-pop Chinese takeout. I’ve seen the kiddos answer the phones there a couple of times, tho most of the time when picking up food for the wife they’re just playing in a blocked off side area that used to be dining pre-pandemic.

• @Pyr_Pressure@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        345 months ago

I think many states allow children as young as 12 to work in specific non-dangerous jobs with permission from the parents. A company recently got in trouble when they had like 20 12-15 year olds working in a meat processing plant which definitely did not qualify for the “not dangerous” qualifier.

• PP_GIRL_
        link
        fedilink
        -365 months ago

Yeah, I agree it’s fucked up but there’s almost no way that kid’s under 14, which is the youngest age Culver’s will hire at, he’s just a late bloomer probably. I think a lot of people would disagree with calling that age group a “literal child.”

• @crapwittyname@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          5 months ago

A lot of people wouldn’t call a fourteen-year-old a child? Which people? I don’t know of any.

Assuming the literal meaning of “literal”, a child is, according to the OED, literally:

a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority.

Can you explain how the pictured human being does not fit the description above?

• UltraMagnus0001
            link
            fedilink
            15 months ago

Those people might say, back in my days I fought wars even though we know better.

• @grue@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Assuming the literal meaning of “literal”, a child is, according to the OED, literally:

a young human being below the age of puberty or below the legal age of majority.

I’m not in any way defending child labor in general or Culvers in particular, but factually speaking, a 14-year-old fits between those two definitions (above the age of puberty but below the legal age of majority).

• @crapwittyname@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              35 months ago

So that’s an inclusive “or” in the definition. If EITHER of those criteria are fulfilled, then the definition can be applied. Since the criterion about the age of majority is true then the definition is true.
              So conversely, a person above the age of majority who hasn’t reached puberty yet (medical condition maybe? Just suspend disbelief for the sake of the argument) is still by definition a child.

• @ThirdWorldOrder@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            5 months ago

I have a 14 year old right now and I’d have zero issues with him getting a job. He’s already been eyeing some places. I know this isn’t what you’re exactly saying, but once they hit puberty they’re a bit different than young kids.

• people_are_cute
              link
              fedilink
              45 months ago

Getting a job as an indulgence because they are interested is fine. Getting a job because their parents are not capable of giving them a dignified lifestyle is downright disgusting and such kids should be rescued. Often greedy parents mask the latter as the former because they are scum.

• phillaholic
                link
                fedilink
                25 months ago

Getting a job because their parents are not capable of giving them a dignified lifestyle is downright disgusting and such kids should be rescued

I just don’t understand this leap to conclusions that every young person is out there working because their parents aren’t feeding or clothing them. I grew up with rich friends, middle class friends, and poor friends. Random assortments of all three groups grew up working. The vast majority of the time it to earn money for themselves to buy luxuries. One friend was working to support their family due to a parental situation. There’s no way putting that person in the foster care system would have been better. They Graduated with decent grades too.

• PP_GIRL_
                  link
                  fedilink
                  -15 months ago

Don’t get too worked up over it. The average Stay-At-Home-Lemmy is completely unable to understand the concept that not everyone’s mom and dad will buy them an Xbox and that sometimes teenagers will get jobs to pay for things they want.

• @crapwittyname@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              5 months ago

I respect that, but your 14 year old is probably quite unusual in that respect. To his credit, of course! Some kids mature faster, and in different areas at different rates. I have a 13 year old and a 16 year old and neither of them would be capable of paid work in my opinion. I love them from the bottom of my heart but they would crumble after a shift at BK

• @ThirdWorldOrder@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                5 months ago

I got my first job in ‘95 when I was 13. This was in a Toronto suburb at a computer shop and it was awesome although only got $5 an hour and had to stay in the back mostly shrink-wrapping a million cd cases. There was a cute 16 year old older girl at the register that I still remember lol.

Didn’t love wearing a large Windows ‘95 box costume and standing at the corner like a hooker though.

• @crapwittyname@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  edit-2
                  5 months ago

Jeeziz. We’re about the same age and I was unable to even make a sandwich at that age I think. Mind you, I bet 13 year old you was ecstatic about that 5 dollars an hour in 1995. I hope you’ve got a picture of yourself in that box for the laughs.

My first job was call centre work at 16. I answered an advert in the local paper. Trying to use a script to swindle old ladies out of their pension for a commission, it was horrifying. I remember thinking “is this what adults do for a living? Cheat each other??” Looking back, I wasn’t that far off in a lot of cases I think.

• @LemmyIsFantastic@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                -55 months ago

I was laying lines blueberry raking at 14, and doing dishes in a restaurant at 16. I wanted money and it certainly taught me how difficult manual labor is without putting me in any real danger. The worst I got was bread cuts. I’d 100% put my daughter in the same situation when she’s older.

• PP_GIRL_
            link
            fedilink
            -165 months ago

From my reply to the other comment:

Fourteen

I don’t think most people would disagree that “teenager” is a more accurate word to describe that age. Trust me, there is plenty fucked up with the OP picture, we don’t need to resort to hyperbolic language to get our point across.

• @crapwittyname@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              135 months ago

It is blatantly the opposite of accurate. When teenager describes both a thirteen year old who hasn’t hit puberty and a nineteen year old who could fight and die for their country, it’s obviously not an accurate enough term

• PP_GIRL_
            link
            fedilink
            -215 months ago

Fourteen.

I don’t think most people would disagree that “teenager” is a more accurate word to describe that age. Trust me, there is plenty fucked up with the OP picture, we don’t need to resort to hyperbolic language to get our point across.

• @tocopherol@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              5 months ago

Its not hyperbolic, 14 is a teenage child. Teenager is not more accurate, because when you say a ‘teenage worker’ most would assume they were at least in the usually accepted ‘young adult’ range, 16-19, the image here is of a child worker. If they were 17 or 16 that might be different, though still literally, legally a child.

• fmstrat
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          -85 months ago

You’re getting a lot of down votes, but you’re spot on. I started working fast food at 14, and I looked like I was 9.

• SonnyVabitch
            link
            fedilink
            15 months ago

And you should have been given pocket money and sent to the playground.

• fmstrat
              cake
              link
              fedilink
              English
              15 months ago

I enjoyed it. The work was easy and it gave me a sense of purpose and I needed that. It taught me the value of my time, and enabled me to get a car when I turned 16. Some people grow up fast, simply because they have to, or sometimes because they just, do. One size does not fit all.

• @CPMSP@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    1625 months ago

They do this often at the Culver’s near me. It’s a fundraiser for school / extracurricular activities. The group works for a few hours and Culver’s donates the receipts for that time.

It’s better than having them go door to door selling wreaths and shit.

• @NatakuNox@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        115 months ago

Most School systems are financially gutted to the bone. It’s dark but most red counties school districts are near bankruptcy and blue areas are slightly better off. So expect more of this as public schools try to keep the doors open.

• @Kadaj21@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          25 months ago

When looking at homes in the more rural areas I noticed that the schools basically shoved all the kids from a good bit around different towns and areas into one. I’d guess to consolidate as much funds as possible in an effective manner, rather than having to pay for more infrastructure that was really needed.

While I would have liked the slower pace….all I could afford out that way were 100 year old farmhouses with very questionable bones. One you could literally walk the dip between the kitchen and living room. Another had electric, propane and fireplaces for the heating in different areas of the home. Had to tell my wife to stop looking at those.

• @Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        45 months ago

I remember having school assemblies in middle school with some third party fundraising company trying to get us to sell…I don’t even remember what as a fundraiser for the entire school. At the time it felt weird and as an adult looking back I find it far more concerning that that’s how they made up the budget shortfalls instead of raising property taxes by fraction of a percent

• memfree
        link
        fedilink
        -75 months ago

They got mad at her when an item was missing out of a 4-bag $80 order (they unbagged and checked everything there on the counter).

That one seems valid. That person got burned before with the staff not bothering to do their job and were NOT going to short their friend whatever item(s) the staff kept for themselves. Sure, you can say the counter girl didn’t do the bagging, but she’s the one that the customer is supposed to tell, and it is hard not to be angry when you’ve paid for stuff and you’re getting shorted – AND there’s almost surely another person relying on you to get it right this time. It shouldn’t take so much effort to just get the stuff you paid for.

• @Trainguyrom@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          115 months ago

But you can nicely check your items and say “ope looks like one of the fries got missed” and not make a big stink about it

• memfree
            link
            fedilink
            -25 months ago

That’s true, but I don’t know how much of a stink was made. If someone is unbagging everything at the counter, they’ve probably been burned before, so I can see some reason to take a harsh tone – enough to show they’re tired of the BS. If, instead, they started throwing things and screaming obscenities, yeah, that’d be an overreaction.

• @ira@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            15 months ago

Meanwhile on the other side of the coin, people have literally been shot and killed for having an extra item in their bag that they didn’t pay for.

• memfree
            link
            fedilink
            -15 months ago

… but they WEREN’T doing their job. I’ve been a counter cashier at a burger joint. Most of the job was getting the order correct and taking in money properly, but I also has to to things like add extra relish packets and see that I was giving them the correct food. That’s the job. You give the customer what they ordered. That is the EASY part. The hard part is dealing with the people trying to scam you with bill-switching/wrong-change schemes (though I suspect those are less common as fewer people use cash now).

• @marshadow@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    1185 months ago

This kid is way too young to be taking verbal abuse from customers. I remember being 19-but-looked-15 and grown-ass adult customers calling me stupid and useless, and generally speaking to and looking at me like I was a piece of dung stuck to the bottom of their shoe. People who thought I was a literal child behaved this way. Not to mention all the perverts. Kids shouldn’t be working customer service, not in a world where adults have such disgusting behavior.

• @inb4_FoundTheVegan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      205 months ago

I’m sorry that this all happened to you. I know this happened in the past, but you deserve a little hug. I hope things are better for you on a day to day basis. ♥

• @marshadow@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        115 months ago

Thanks, that’s sweet of you. <3 Things are much better for me now that I’m out of that line of work, so I do my best to stand up to trashy customers on behalf of the people who can’t.

• THCDenton
      link
      fedilink
      55 months ago

Fuckin same. Honestly no age is old enough to take shit working at fuckin Office Depot.

• cheee
    link
    fedilink
    1165 months ago

Nah, you got the wrong end of the stick, this is an uplifting story - it’s a kid working hard to provide for his mum’s cancer treatment that in any other developed nation would be covered by taxes. Uplifting. Right? So Uplifting. He doesn’t need to be with his mum in her time of need, he should be suckin that capitalist dick.

• Deceptichum
    link
    fedilink
    845 months ago

“We made this shitty thing legal, so you can’t disagree with it. Checkmate athieists”

• @Vampiric_Luma@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    445 months ago

When I was 13 I was ‘encouraged’ by my family to get a job. I had no interest. They pulled some strings and I began illegally working (14 was the legal age) for a small family diner. At this time I just wanted to fiddle on my tech as I was very nerdy, but my family didn’t want me to “stay in my room all the time,” so pointless labour it was.

I did appreciate the liberation I gained from my family, even if I didn’t have the knowledge of what to do with it; How to expand upon it. Probably for the best imo. I spent my whole first paycheck on some games that me and my homies would play in the garage and made great memories. If there was a life lesson to be learned during this whole experience, I never understood it at the time. Eventually I was let go from work since no-one taught me how to perform my job duties well enough. That’s life, though!

By luck, one of my caring high-school teachers managed to slip-in his own curriculum. He taught a class of ~15 students some important financial skills… how mortgages work… how to create and manage savings… credit building… Bunch of important life stuff that I would consider essential knowledge in our society was an optional course I learned through word-of-mouth/happenstance.

???

why

Meanwhile and my ultimate gripe with this thread and tying this back into a dystopian - I see some people mention they learned valuable life lessons and a bunch of other copium. Witness me and your kin around you. Is the knowledge you gained - the wisdom acquired through action and experience - is it gained through labour? No. I didn’t and others didn’t either. Can it be taught safely without forcing children with a young developing brain into dangerous work environments? Yes. I gained such wisdom later from the safety and comfort of my school. And we rest on the final point with a question:

How many opportunities in the common layman eye are there for children to receive education on the matter?

If your experience had 1 or more, I’d love for you to share such experiences here as it’s eye-opening to those who received and did not receive such privilege. I’m certainly interested! :)

• @theangryseal@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      345 months ago

As someone who was pulled out of school at 14 and sent to work rebuilding old houses and breaking my back for $100 a week, education is where it’s at.

Appalachia is a whole different world (especially 25-30 years ago, the internet is changing it though).

The dude I worked for was molesting little girls and using the boys to stand up for him in court later to talk about how great he was. Unfortunately (for him that is) he made some mistakes and didn’t get our support, but boy he tried.

I remember one time he took us to the lake. He said, “I’m psychic, you know. I know things that no one else knows.” I replied, “there’s no such thing. Prove it.” He said, “Ok, when you and Regina sat on the train tracks and you ate her pussy and she sucked your dick. I just seen that in my mind.” He blew my mind in that moment.

I grew up and realized, Regina put my penis in her mouth because someone was teaching her that shit. I put my mouth on her vagina because she instructed me to do it. She did so because someone taught her this stuff. We were 11 and 9.

I know that’s disturbing and I’m sorry.

Kids shouldn’t be handed over to strange adults to work. If I’m not proof of that I don’t know what is.

• Herbal Gamer
        link
        fedilink
        55 months ago

As someone who was pulled out of school at 14 and sent to work rebuilding old houses and breaking my back for $100 a week, education is where it’s at.

I’m just gonna say if they got me building houses for a day or two each week, I would’ve loved that shit and might’ve stayed in school.

The rest of the story is beyond me.

• @DaCrazyJamez@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    365 months ago

Legal working age of 15 1/2 (in my state) plus a kid who looks young for their age - may not be the most appealing situation, bit this probably completely above board.

• @Crack0n7uesday@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

No age restrictions if family owned business, that’s a federal law no state can bypass, but I doubt the owner of Culver’s needs their kids to work to support the family.

• @bluewing@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        45 months ago

That’s a federal law aimed at farm families from back in the day. And farm kids are still helping and working along side Grandpa and Dad. And where I live, in the middle of a forest, they also help and work along side in logging families also.

Growing up on a farm, my earliest memory in life is walking behind a tractor pulling a ‘stoneboat’ and picking up rocks in the fields along side my father and grandfather. I was driving a tractor pulling wagons and hay trailers by 8 years old and by 12 I was driving trucks hauling grain from the field to storage bins and unloading them. Plus getting up a 5AM to help milk cows every morning and again at 5PM. It was absolutely crucial when my Grandfather got sick with “Farmer’s Lung” and couldn’t work much anymore. I pretty much started running his farm at 14.

• BruceTwarzen
      link
      fedilink
      35 months ago

So they should just make the legal working age 12 and the problem is solved

• @Pandawhiskers@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    345 months ago

I was at a tim Hortons in Canada. Had this experience seeing a youngin’ working, except it literally seemed like the whole staff was this age. It was enough kids to prompt us to ask what the working age was in Canada. The young lady informed us it was 13 or so

• Stoneykins [any]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    335 months ago

“This is a systemic problem. Children should have their needs met without the need for work, and this child working is an obvious symptom of the problem at hand.”

“Have you ever considered that I, an individual, worked at a mcdonalds at the age of 15? I used the money to buy a video game. Therefore your argument is invalid.”

This comment section is fuckin weird.

• @Dlayknee@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    305 months ago

I saw this on Reddit a while back. This isn’t an actual employee, it’s the kid of a manager who brought them to work for the day (school was closed or something). The dumbass manager thought it would be cute to dress her kid up and put them on the register, but patrons were rightly weirded out. Culver’s corp found out and were pissed - I’m not sure if the manager got fired or not, but this definitely wasn’t something Culver’s was cool with.