• R0cket_M00se
    link
    fedilink
    English
    -96 months ago

I think children should be free to focus on more important things than working.

“Freedom” to do what you want them to and nothing more, not even to earn it over summer break or learn the value of money.

Fuck 'em, just wait until they get out of highschool at 18 before they ever even see real money and have no idea how any of it works, who the predators are, and what the risk is.

• @Esqplorer@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      66 months ago

Fuck 'em, just wait until they get out of highschool at 18 before they ever even see real money and have no idea how any of it works, who the predators are, and what the risk is.

Why is this worse than the literal same thing at a younger age?

• @saltesc@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      16 months ago

They completely missed an entire part of my initial comment that started this tangent.

Literally, it was all my idea and what I wanted to do.

“Children should be free to focus on things.”

12 year old me: “Cool! I want to work at the local fish and chip store and they already said it’s okay, pleeeeease?.”

“NO!!!”

• R0cket_M00se
        link
        fedilink
        English
        06 months ago

This place is insane sometimes. In their heads they’re thinking children being forced into labor, obviously that’s not what we’re talking about here. I had various gigs I did as a kid to earn some extra money, snow shoveling in the winter, mowing in the summer, I’m doing much better financially than my peers. Most of the guys I was in the military with were losing their whole paychecks just days after getting them, never having that much money in their lives. No one ever taught them and they never developed the skills on their own.

Say what you will, but I don’t think there’s anything wrong with letting a kid work in an entrepreneur kind of fashion or in limited capacity like what you did on weekends, summer break, etc.

You can’t raise someone into an adult if you hand them the keys for the first time on their 18th birthday. Most of us learn by doing and it’s best to get the hands on experience.