Finished Dead Beat by Jim Butcher. Loved the book. Series keep getting better and better.

After much deliberation on what to read next, went with Valour’s Choice by Tanya Huff. Book 1 of “military sci-fi” series Confederation. Tanya Huff was recommended a long time ago on reddit, but I wasn’t sure if I was in “military sci-fi” mood, but I am really enjoying the book.

The book is years after you join the Confederation, and it doesn’t hand-hold you by explaining each “alien” term or how each species look like right away, giving you the feel that these words / things are so common that there is no need to explain them, but as the novel progress you start learning what’s what and which species look like what.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening?

• @Roggebrood@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    24 months ago

I wanted to dive deeper in specific topics this year, rather than jumping from one topic to the next. The coming months I want to read mostly contemporary Japanese literature, which is still a very broad topic of course. Right now I’m reading No Longer Human by Osamu Dazai, a short novel about a troubled man who fails to connect to others. Currently halfway and ian incredibly bleak view on human relationships and interaction.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      24 months ago

That’s nice. I know nothing about contemporary Japanese literature, I mean other than Mangas (and anime and games!), so would be interesting to follow what you are reading and your reviews. Keep us updated!

• @Roggebrood@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        24 months ago

Oh, this is my 3rd Japanese novel I’m reading, so I’m only just getting started. But I’ll be sure to keep posting here.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          24 months ago

Which ones did you read before?