• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    English
    405 months ago

I’m just now having to replace my brother printer (HL-2170W) I bought in 06, because the NIC is toast.

The printer still works great, but duplex printing sure would be nice.

• @monkeyman512@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      285 months ago

If it still has working USB you can hook it up to a $10 raspberry pi with wifi to act as a print server. I can understand if that’s a more ambitious tech project than your ready to take on.

• u/lukmly013 💾 (lemmy.sdf.org)
        link
        fedilink
        English
        75 months ago

There also used to be network printer adapters in the past. For example, the Belkin F8T030 Bluetooth AP. Yes, Bluetooth AP. I’d like something like that just for fun. Perhaps not this one specifically, as it only supports BT-LAP out-of-the-box and requires firmware upgrade for BT-PAN. Good luck finding firmware for a niche product from 2003.

But anyway, perhaps something like that (the printer part) is still made.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        English
        35 months ago

I’m a systems engineer, so it would be a short project for me. My homelab router could run the print server, but the USB port is currently powering my pi hole.

I feel like there would be some way to rig an esp32 or similar micro controller to do the same thing (pis can be scarce atm

• @frezik@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          15 months ago

Rpi stock issues are well behind us. You can buy them straight up now. Even the 1GB RPi4.

Esp32 may not have enough RAM to buffer large prints, especially if there’s a lot of graphics. It is possible to give it up to 4MB of external RAM, but that’s still not much.

Pi Pico can do a 16MB external RAM chip. That’s starting to be adaqute.

I had an HP 5si for a while with 20MB of internal RAM. It struggled with Postscript printing–could only buffer and print one page at a time. Did fine with HP’s own PDL drivers, though.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
            link
            English
            15 months ago

I still had some trouble getting the Zero 2Ws, but a lot of sellers still have a limit of 1 per order.

I’ll probably use my Zero W for the print server once I replace the controller for my snake’s enclosure with a 2.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        English
        165 months ago

I haven’t had any reason to print in color for like 20 years. I’m sure many consumers are the same.

If I do need to print color, I’ll pay $0.10 at UPS or the library or whatever to print it off.

• @Gerudo@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        95 months ago

Every inkjet printer on this planet has a choice. Cheap ink, accessible printheads, expensive. You have to pick one.

Certain Hp? Expensive cartridges but new print heads with every cart. Epson ecotank? Cheap ink but non replaceable printheads. High-end printers? Insanely priced printheads and ink.

The only way out is laser.

• @Treczoks@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        65 months ago

But have a close look at the model you are buying. We recently noticed that the relatively cheap Epson Ecotank we bought for our daughter is a bit difficult to maintain. You simply have no access to the printheads.

• Jelloeater
      link
      fedilink
      English
      15 months ago

2170 crowd represent!!!

Those things run forever and cost nothing to run.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        English
        15 months ago

I think I’ve only bought 3x toner cartridges, and one of those got lost because I shook the old one and it just kept working for a year or two.