Seems like an interesting effort. A developer is building an alternative Java-based backend to Lemmy’s Rust-based one, with the goal of building in a handful of different features. The dev is looking at using this compatibility to migrate their instance over to the new platform, while allowing the community to use their apps of choice.

• @remotelove@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    165 months ago

There is nothing inherently wrong with Java I would speculate, but it can be a royal pain in the ass to manage if you just need one application to work.

I know the basics of the language, but from what I have seen managing it, I don’t like it. Just from being in security, I constantly hit barriers with devs because of versioning issues. There is always some ancient app running on a version of Java that can’t be updated, for whatever reason. Version management is always a pain, but with Java? Goddamn.

I admit ignorance about the details of Java and how awesome it is for job security. There is no way in hell I could even debate anyone who has watched a single video on YouTube about Java. However, from what I have seen, it either works great or it fails explosively with billions of randomly allocated threads attempting to suck memory from every other server within 50 miles.

If it’s awesome to code with, cool. I am just a little salty from my experiences, as you can tell.

• @BURN@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      45 months ago

Legacy Java software is a massive pain in the ass. No arguments there. I’ve been migrating an app from Java 11->17 for the last 2 months and it’s a versioning mess. So many libraries deprecated and removed that don’t have easy replacements.

It’s great because things don’t break when they’re running, but the problem is upgrading.

Version management does seem to have become better with the last couple versions

• @remotelove@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        25 months ago

(Confirmation bias, ENGAGE!)

We have a few of those projects coming up as well. Thankfully, I just get to poke at the apps to make sure the issues are resolved.

But yeah, one of my examples of rogue threads is a coding issue, not inherently a language issue. Even log4j issues can’t be completely blamed on Java “The Language”.