Seems like an interesting effort. A developer is building an alternative Java-based backend to Lemmy’s Rust-based one, with the goal of building in a handful of different features. The dev is looking at using this compatibility to migrate their instance over to the new platform, while allowing the community to use their apps of choice.

• @BURN@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    45 months ago

Legacy Java software is a massive pain in the ass. No arguments there. I’ve been migrating an app from Java 11->17 for the last 2 months and it’s a versioning mess. So many libraries deprecated and removed that don’t have easy replacements.

It’s great because things don’t break when they’re running, but the problem is upgrading.

Version management does seem to have become better with the last couple versions

• @remotelove@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      25 months ago

(Confirmation bias, ENGAGE!)

We have a few of those projects coming up as well. Thankfully, I just get to poke at the apps to make sure the issues are resolved.

But yeah, one of my examples of rogue threads is a coding issue, not inherently a language issue. Even log4j issues can’t be completely blamed on Java “The Language”.