• @Blackmist@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    195 months ago

The movies seem to be something for the cinema. I think they lose a lot of magic at home, mostly because they were designed 100% for the 3d tech which is now dead.

You could show it in VR, but wearing a headset for 3 hours is not going to be a particularly enjoyable experience, and nobody really seems interested in bringing them all to VR anyway. Apparently Disney are planning on having it on the ludicrously expensive Apple VR thing, so hopefully somebody will rip it in it’s variable framerate 3D glory so I can watch it on my lesser peasant VR headset.

• @dustyData@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      5 months ago

It really wasn’t all of that on the Cinema either. I watched the first Avatar on 3D when it premiered and was bored out of my mind 40 minutes in. I admit the tech involved, the CGI and the 3D stuff was super cool and interesting, I’m a nerd for high tech, but the script is so mid, the cinematography so cliche, the characters are cardboard cutouts and the subject matter so pedestrian that I just lost interest. When I heard the Way of the water was 3+ hours long I knew I would never watch it on theaters. Saw it at home in 45 minutes chunks as a mini-series and it confirmed it to me, the script is somehow even worse and even more forgettable, I’m glad I didn’t spend a dime on going to the movie theater for that one. The CGI is impressive but nothing new or unique that we haven’t seen before a dozen times already, there have even been better CGI movies than Avatar before.

• @CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        35 months ago

The thing about the entire franchise being based on how good the CGI looks is if you wait 5-10 years the CGI will look dated and all you’re left with is a mediocre script.

• Zagorath
          link
          fedilink
          English
          25 months ago

It’s been more than 10 years since the original blue people movie, and I don’t think I heard people say it looked dated when it was re-released?

• @justJanne@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        15 months ago

Not really. Avatar 1 revolutionised motion capture, which actually allowed Marvel’s entire MCU to exist the way it did.

Avatar 2 improved that yet again, which we’ll likely see in future superhero and scifi movies.