• @dustyData@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    5 months ago

It really wasn’t all of that on the Cinema either. I watched the first Avatar on 3D when it premiered and was bored out of my mind 40 minutes in. I admit the tech involved, the CGI and the 3D stuff was super cool and interesting, I’m a nerd for high tech, but the script is so mid, the cinematography so cliche, the characters are cardboard cutouts and the subject matter so pedestrian that I just lost interest. When I heard the Way of the water was 3+ hours long I knew I would never watch it on theaters. Saw it at home in 45 minutes chunks as a mini-series and it confirmed it to me, the script is somehow even worse and even more forgettable, I’m glad I didn’t spend a dime on going to the movie theater for that one. The CGI is impressive but nothing new or unique that we haven’t seen before a dozen times already, there have even been better CGI movies than Avatar before.

• @CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      35 months ago

The thing about the entire franchise being based on how good the CGI looks is if you wait 5-10 years the CGI will look dated and all you’re left with is a mediocre script.

• Zagorath
        link
        fedilink
        English
        25 months ago

It’s been more than 10 years since the original blue people movie, and I don’t think I heard people say it looked dated when it was re-released?

• @justJanne@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      15 months ago

Not really. Avatar 1 revolutionised motion capture, which actually allowed Marvel’s entire MCU to exist the way it did.

Avatar 2 improved that yet again, which we’ll likely see in future superhero and scifi movies.