• @tacosanonymous@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    325 months ago

That’s impossible since the point was a superficial elevation of their own interests.

Unless you think the point of feminism (for example) is to make men second class citizens. That’s just not a thing. It’s a rhetoric created by assholes to get ignorant people on board with their continued grossness.

• @H4rdStyl3z@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      195 months ago

Unless you think the point of feminism (for example) is to make men second class citizens. That’s just not a thing. It’s a rhetoric created by assholes to get ignorant people on board with their continued grossness.

I think there may be some radicals who genuinely wish for that, but those don’t represent the entire movement and usually only pay lip service to the cause where it aligns with their personal beliefs. They should be ignored.

• @grue@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        125 months ago

I think there may be some radicals who genuinely wish for that

Those aren’t radicals; those are reactionary trolls who falsely claim allegiance to the movement in order to discredit it.

• @tacosanonymous@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        05 months ago

I’m not even sure the radicals want that. Anger is an appropriate response to oppression. Vengeance is an extreme form of that but I doubt anyone that isn’t truly damaged would be okay with it.

• @Rooskie91
      link
      115 months ago

There’s also a psychological phenomenon that occurs in ‘elite classes’ where they think that someone getting more means they get less. They literally cannot fathom someone getting welfare without it affecting them negatively. It’s one of the reasons why poor people still support Republicans.

• @tubaruco@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      -85 months ago

a lot of women who call themselves feminist believe theyre superior to men instead of equal. most of those are very loud about it, so feminism turns into a term that describes that, even if the “real” meaning isn’t that.