• @NegativeInf@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      675 months ago

Both are fine. Sneaked is traditional.

“Sneaked” is the traditional past tense and past participle of the verb “sneak”. “Snuck” is a newer, nonstandard past tense of “sneak” that originated in the United States in the early 20th century. However, “snuck” is now widely accepted and appears in many publications

• the post of tom joad
        link
        fedilink
        255 months ago

past participle

Im so glad i was raised in the language so i can just speak without ever needing to learn this shit. My eyes have always glazed over in English class. An adjective that’s also a verb? Gtfo

• @M500@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          65 months ago

Yeah, also when English is your first language you are not judged harshly when you make a mistake.

• KillingTimeItself
          link
          fedilink
          English
          35 months ago

same shit happened to me with french, though tbf, i just cant fucking stand spoken laungage, shit is a nightmare, and so is french.

• Captain Aggravated
          link
          fedilink
          35 months ago

The constructed language Lojban doesn’t actually differentiate between adjectives, verbs, nouns and adverbs, because it turns out separating words into categories like that isn’t a useful exercise.

For example, is “shower” a noun or a verb? What about “bike?”

Take the word “green.” In English, color words are pretty strictly adjectives. in English, you say a traffic light “turns green.” In Lojban, you would say the light “is greening” or “greens.” Funny how you can also make English do that, huh?

• @Carlo@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          15 months ago

Similarly, I find stealer to be a better, more evocative word than thief. Plus, it works with one of my long-standing dad jokes: when somebody, say, takes one of my snacks or somesuch, I’ll say something like, “I didn’t know you were from Pittsburgh!”