• edric
    link
    fedilink
    English
    545 months ago

exclusively for illegal and just generally anti social behavior.

Except they aren’t. These devices are used for various non-illegal purposes and are actually helpful for pentesters so we can learn about potential vulnerabilities on wireless systems before they can be exploited by bad actors. The same way a usb cable is useful for transferring data and at the same time can be used for illegal stuff (like literally any hack where you connect to a device via usb). The worst part (and the article mentions it), is that it doesn’t even work on security systems on cars built since the 90’s. So they’re banning something that isn’t even a problem in the first place.

• @BossDj@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -195 months ago

I totally get and agree this is a dumbfuck response to the problem they allege to be fixing, and hopefully their committee it whatever concludes the same, but the article didn’t mention any redeeming values for the device as you did

• @n3m37h@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            25 months ago

but the article didn’t mention any redeeming values for the device as you did

This means the writer has a bias of negativity towards the device and now you are arguing that’s it’s a good thing it is being banned.

You would vote to ban dihydrogen monoxide if you found it has been consumed by every murderer in existence and also has been found at every school shooting too

• @BossDj@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              15 months ago

I said “this is a dumbfuck response to a problem they allege to be fixing and hopefully their committee concludes the same”.

Translation = it’s stupid to ban it.

I was giving credit to that other guy for listing some redeeming qualities of the device as the article did not.