• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    75 months ago

Yup. At the very least double the time and halve the power. You just have to learn your microwave.

For example, I can nuke sausages and have them come out looking like I grilled them if I do 15 minutes on 20% power.

• cheesymoonshadow
      link
      fedilink
      75 months ago

Longer time and less power is the secret!

Another thing I’ve started doing is nuking my cup before pouring coffee or tea in it and nuking our dinner plates before putting food on them.

• cheesymoonshadow
          link
          fedilink
          15 months ago

I had never heard of that before but it looks like that is the case. With no liquid to absorb the microwaves, the mechanism in the oven ends up absorbing them and it can get damaged.

I’ve been doing it for like three years though and our microwave oven is still fine. I only nuke plates (a stack of 2) for 30 seconds and a single cup for 15 seconds. But I think I’ll reduce the plates to 20.

• @Senshi@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            35 months ago

If you want to save energy and reduce risk: put the things you want warm in wet. Microwaves get absorbed much better by liquids. Like a lot better.

Just run the plates under the tap quickly and wipe them down after heating. Some of the water will have steamed off anyway, so this is super quick.

For cups, just put the liquid you want them to hold in before.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
          link
          55 months ago

Yeah, you’re just pre-heating them. Just make sure they’re microwave safe

• cheesymoonshadow
          link
          fedilink
          25 months ago

Yes and yes. It’s so food/liquid doesn’t get cold fast like it would if the cup or dish wasn’t warmed up.