• RedFox
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    4 months ago

The thought that comes to mind for me is that all of the tech companies are in a heavy cycle of stock/investor profit mode. It seems like every major company is just pumping the bottom line for stock gains.

I know that can lead to R&D money and advances, but I’m only really seeing that with M$ buying (I mean partnering) ChatGPT for their CoPilot to be the next big thing for Office/Microsoft 365.

What has Apple done new lately? iPhones just get better specs right?

Google, being the subject of the article, they do seem like they’re getting their butts kicked trying to compete with OpenAI.

Broadcom buys VMware (which wasn’t really doing anything wildly new IMO lately), openly plans to milk it for profit, and has been pretty honest about not giving a shit about customers, until their latest post where they are trying to speak against the obvious aforementioned ‘not-giving-a-shit’

Who else?

Any major innovations lately not coming to my mind, or all just bottom line pumping?

• @Clent@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      54 months ago

You are too kind to Microsoft, buying into innovation isn’t the same as creating it.

If you aren’t seeing innovation from Apple it’s likely because you’re an Apple hater. For example, they released their own CPU chips quite recently. The smartphone is now a matured product, any innovation would likely be something very different.

Broadcom? Who cares. Thats enterprise shit. It’s like mentioning Oracle in the same list. They are milking corporations. Completely different paradigm.

You don’t mention Amazon, but there’s another potential sinking ship. Their brand loyalty is fading and they don’t seem to care but it’s still has momentum to recover.

Google is the real concern. They have lost their luster. Their main product is search and it is getting worse and no one trusts their new offerings to last because their product grace yard is a landfill. No one can say the same about any of these other companies.

Windows is still the same meh.

iPhones, Apple Watches, etc are meh.

Google search is done. Everyone that was an early adopter is fleeing to the competition, desperately looking for something that sucks less.

Eventually someone will find the new way to search the wealth of information found on the web. It does not look like that company will be Google. It’s also unlikely to be Apple or Microsoft but both of those companies have mature products that aren’t experience a decline in the way that Google search is.

• RedFox
        link
        fedilink
        English
        14 months ago

apple hater

Nah, I’m indifferent. They’re just another company. I did forget about the chips they’re working on. That’s a big/expensive investment.

Google is trying that with the tensor. Not hearing a huge roar about that either.

I was thinking more enterprise with MS.

I think the new way to search the web is LLMs, but still probably relies on their respective indexer.

• @Dkarma@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      24 months ago

HPE just made the fastest supercomputer in the world by 2.5x the closest system in 2nd place a couple years ago. Frontier breaking the exascale barrier was pretty huge.

• RedFox
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Now that’s more upbeat. Good call.

I’ll have to go see if they’re doing anything cool with it, it just trying to fix male pattern baldness. I’m thinking of an Idiocracy reference…

• RedFox
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            4 months ago

I’m betting you’re right. Hopefully they can crack that last inch holding us back from some sweet ass fusion power, or some kind of cancer+everything else miracle cure…

The pictures look cool anyway.