A Bitcoin investor was recently scammed out of 9 Bitcoin (worth around $490K) in a fake “Exodus wallet” desktop application for Linux, published in the Canonical Snap Store. This isn’t the first time; if nothing changes, it likely won’t be the last.

• @delirious_owl
    link
    24 months ago

I mean FlatHub isn’t safe in general. You could just target someone downloading the package and give them a malicious package instead. FlatHub doesn’t check sigs, so its a hot mess

• danielfgomOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      4 months ago

They seem to be doing more on that side than Canonical is. But I agree, it should be MANDATORY that the developer is thoroughly vetted and approved and the code run and checked before publishing.

I hope this is a wake up call for Snaps and Flatpaks.

Apps from the repo have the security, which is why I always default to the distribution repo

• qaz
        link
        fedilink
        14 months ago

it should be MANDATORY that the developer is thoroughly vetted and approved and the code run and checked Brexit before publishing.

Brexit?

• @AProfessional@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      4 months ago

The repo is gpg signed. I don’t know why you think thats not sufficient.

“packages” don’t exist like traditional distros. Its a large repo of data.

• @delirious_owl
        link
        14 months ago

Point me to the documentation that describes this

• @delirious_owl
            link
            14 months ago

This isn’t even the right project’s documentation

• @delirious_owl
                link
                14 months ago

No, my point is that if flat pak doesn’t document that they cryptographically verify the authenticity of packages, then they dont.

Even the ostree docs say that it supports it gpg encryption. It supports it. It doesn’t enforce it. That depends on the implementation.

I will continue to harshly criticize projects that leave users vulnerable. Want to prove me wrong? Link me to the flat pak docks that clearly say that all packages are cryptographically verified after download and before upload.

• @AProfessional@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  edit-2
                  4 months ago

Look, Flatpak does, and it’s secure. You can spread misinformation if you like but don’t be proud of it.

You clearly have no capacity to accept new information in good faith.

• @delirious_owl
        link
        14 months ago

Its pretty terrible compared to normal OS package managers.

• Possibly linux
          link
          fedilink
          English
          14 months ago

How so? I just open up gnome software an search for the application I need

• @delirious_owl
            link
            14 months ago

Cryptographic verification of the packages authenticity