All of Canada’s ambassadors and heads of mission have signed a letter to senior Global Affairs Canada officials warning that Canadian staff abroad are struggling to access health care coverage.

• @Voroxpete@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      34 months ago

Healthcare in Canada is deemed a provincial responsibility, but that creates kind of a grey area when it comes to things like soldiers or diplomats deployed abroad. Which province foots the bill?

So, the fed just puts every federal employee on a private insurance plan. I believe it’s Blue Cross right now. This applies if you’re in Canada as well, that way wherever you get posted, the fed is footing the bill. Plus it means we get eyecare, pharma, some limited dental, stuff like that.

• @Poutinetown@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        24 months ago

Interesting. That makes a lot of sense. I guess blue Cross is not too bad since it’s a 501c4. However I would expect it to be easier to process.

• @Voroxpete@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          14 months ago

Thankfully we’ve never had to deal with overseas claims (at least, not yet, sooner or later my wife will almost certainly be doing a tour in Latvia), so I can’t comment on how that works. From the article it sounds like there’s some kind of separate group that does the processing? It’s not really clear to me.