I often browse /all, come across a post that looks interesting but I have no clue what’s it about, so I check the sidebar - and all I find is “An unofficial Lemmy community for X”, " A place to discuss everything about X", or the best kind, “A continuation of r/X from Reddit”.

Can’t people write just some basics? What is that thing, a TV show, a music band, a sports team, a tabletop game? Sometimes I really can’t tell even after looking at a few posts.

Your community may be of interest to someone who stumbles upon it, not only to diehard fans.

I know sometimes that’s the joke, but most times it would be simple to just use a few words. “Discuss X, a Zimbabwean spy-thriller public theatre show.” There we go, now everyone knows what it is.

• blanketswithsmallpox
    link
    fedilink
    01 year ago

I’m pretty confident if people expect you to participate in their community they either want you to already know about it, or learn about it through osmosis by not telling you the insular gatekeeped references.

If it’s something you should know and you’re either young or just one of those rare things you’ve never encountered… You’re on the internet dude. Use Google lol.

• @Sir_Kevin
      cake
      link
      81 year ago

Fuck that I’ma just keep scrolling. If they want their community to grow they should at least put in the minimum effort of a description.