• YaksDC
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    4 months ago

If you have an Alamo Drafthouse near you I suggest checking it out. They take disruptive people very seriously and have a way to inform the staff without you having to leave your seat. It is not a discount place however the tickets and really decent food is expensive.

I watch most things at home but I needed to see Dune in the theater.

• ditty
      link
      fedilink
      English
      64 months ago

I exclusively see movies at my local Alamo Drafthouse for this reason as well. Though I saw Oppenheimer at an AMC since they have true IMAX and Alamo Drafthouse’s “The Big Show” isn’t quite the same.

Also I’m never ordering real food at a Drafthouse theater ever again. It’s dark in the theater so eating real food is pretty much impossible (unless you don’t mind making a mess!).

• YaksDC
        link
        fedilink
        English
        64 months ago

I immediately spilled cheese sauce on myself the last time I was there. ☺

• synae[he/him]
      link
      fedilink
      English
      44 months ago

What about when the staff and the food/drink process they have is the disruption that I want removed?

Which is to say, in SF I’ve had way better experiences at our AMC than our Alamo. I hate saying it because I feel like a shill, but it’s true.

Combined with the monthly subscription (which costs less than a single IMAX ticket, yet includes up to 12 up them if that’s your jam), the megacorp really is superior for someone who wants to see movies in theaters.

• @CptEnder@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      14 months ago

Hey you’re me! (And the guy below)

Alamo is far and away the best cinema experience you could ask for outside of IMAX full frame. They make their own in house mini docs and sketches about what movie you’re about to watch before the previews. Their food is actually really good pub food. They also have guest chefs and build custom menus/cocktails for big opening nights. Each theater has it’s own full bar outside that’s got it’s own cinematic theme - SF is kinda Rick’s Cafe, Brooklyn is a horror museum, and Manhattan is a newspaper printing press

And ofc like OP said, you can put up an order card to discreetly tell the staff someone is talking/on the phone. I’ve only had to use the feature once and it worked like a charm!