• partial_accumen
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1074 months ago

“Distractions from other members of the audience: 19%”

This is #1 for me. The worse part about going to a cinema today is the other people that go. I don’t know why you need to turn your phone on and browse tiktok for 15 minutes during the movie. I don’t know why you feel the need to converse with your seatmates at full volume during the show. Why are you bringing a screaming baby to a movie with loud explosions? Can you please have your small uninterested children not running back and forth in front of the screen laughing while the movie is going on?

I feel old, but I’m old at home watching on streaming with the other 2/3rds of adults I guess.

• @GreenEngineering3475@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      4 months ago

I agree with you, and not all movies are worth the theatre experience, ticket and food is expensive.

I love the Kung Fu Panda movies,but watch in a theatre, no thank you.I will wait till Kung Fu Panda 4 is available to stream and I can watch it peacefully and on my own pace.

Dune and Oppenheimer both of those were worth the price.

• @MeekerThanBeaker@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        224 months ago

Barbie was worth seeing in the theater as well, to be honest. I’m a middle aged guy and it was a great experience to see that with the women all in pink cheering opening weekend. Like seeing a Marvel, DC, or Star Wars movie. The energy was palpable.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet
          link
          fedilink
          English
          14 months ago

I saw Barbie at iPic because my wife wanted to see it in the theater. That movie is solidly in the “watch at home” category for me.

• @iheartneopets@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            44 months ago

That’s not what they’re talking about. They specified the energy of the theater at a specific point in time, not the movie itself. I tend to agree with them. It was really fun going and being part of the event that was Barbie opening weekend. It was the best cinema experience I’d had in years.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet
              link
              fedilink
              English
              13 months ago

I went opening weekend too, but didn’t experience any of that. Maybe because we went to iPic instead of a regular theater like AMC.

• Scrubbles
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Why are you bringing a screaming baby to a movie with loud explosions? Can you please have your small uninterested children not running back and forth in front of the screen laughing while the movie is going on?

This is my number one. Teens annoy me for sure, but hey, they’re stupid teens and they’re probably on an awkward date or something, it’s a social event. I can eyeroll at them and move on with my night.

Parents who bring children to movies that are not children’s movies annoy the ever loving shit out of me. You want to watch it? Great, wait for it to be on streaming or get a sitter and go as a couple or with friends. Insisting on bringing your child to a movie that is not appropriate for them is irresponsible and very “I’m the main character” because obviously they don’t care about anyone else in the theater. I’ve heard all the excuses, and that’s all they are, excuses.

• @thanks_shakey_snake@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -114 months ago

I hear what you’re saying, and both groups are obnoxious, but I have more sympathy for the overloaded parent trying to make it work, than for the obnoxious teen who is being disruptive on purpose.

Not to say there aren’t parents in the “obnoxious self-centered jerk” category-- for sure there are-- but some are just trying their best to juggle two different priorities and failing.

• Scrubbles
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          4 months ago

Nope. Teens don’t know better. I give them more leeway because they’re young and ignorant. They’re assholes, but going to the movies as a teenager is a defacto answer for “what should we do tonight”, plus they don’t have a ton of money so usually going to a nicer theater weeds most of them out.

Parents should know how their actions affect others, and everyone knows bringing a child to an adult movie will cause problems. I stick by what I said, if a parent wants to see it, schedule a date night or night with friends and get a sitter, or wait until it can be watched at home.

• @Nastybutler@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            94 months ago

Completely agree. I thought it was pretty well known that once you have kids your life changes and you now have to make sacrifices. Some parents clearly don’t feel that way, and those people are selfish assholes.

There’s a reason I never had children of my own; because I know I’m selfish and enjoy my freedom too much. If you too want the freedom of someone without kids, it’ll either cost you in childcare, or you better have a strong family support system

• Scrubbles
              link
              fedilink
              English
              94 months ago

That’s the number one excuse I see, including in this thread. “Parenthood just changes your life so much”. Right. Your life. Not mine. So the whole “It just affects us so much, we can’t get out much”. Right, was that a secret before you decided to have kids? I know that, it’s why I’m not having kids, because I enjoy doing things like going out regularly to places kids can’t be at, traveling, and generally having a quiet house. Call me selfish, but I know what I want and I’m not going to bring kids into this world if I know I’m going to resent them for changing my life.

• YaksDC
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      4 months ago

If you have an Alamo Drafthouse near you I suggest checking it out. They take disruptive people very seriously and have a way to inform the staff without you having to leave your seat. It is not a discount place however the tickets and really decent food is expensive.

I watch most things at home but I needed to see Dune in the theater.

• ditty
        link
        fedilink
        English
        64 months ago

I exclusively see movies at my local Alamo Drafthouse for this reason as well. Though I saw Oppenheimer at an AMC since they have true IMAX and Alamo Drafthouse’s “The Big Show” isn’t quite the same.

Also I’m never ordering real food at a Drafthouse theater ever again. It’s dark in the theater so eating real food is pretty much impossible (unless you don’t mind making a mess!).

• YaksDC
          link
          fedilink
          English
          64 months ago

I immediately spilled cheese sauce on myself the last time I was there. ☺

• synae[he/him]
        link
        fedilink
        English
        44 months ago

What about when the staff and the food/drink process they have is the disruption that I want removed?

Which is to say, in SF I’ve had way better experiences at our AMC than our Alamo. I hate saying it because I feel like a shill, but it’s true.

Combined with the monthly subscription (which costs less than a single IMAX ticket, yet includes up to 12 up them if that’s your jam), the megacorp really is superior for someone who wants to see movies in theaters.

• @CptEnder@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        14 months ago

Hey you’re me! (And the guy below)

Alamo is far and away the best cinema experience you could ask for outside of IMAX full frame. They make their own in house mini docs and sketches about what movie you’re about to watch before the previews. Their food is actually really good pub food. They also have guest chefs and build custom menus/cocktails for big opening nights. Each theater has it’s own full bar outside that’s got it’s own cinematic theme - SF is kinda Rick’s Cafe, Brooklyn is a horror museum, and Manhattan is a newspaper printing press

And ofc like OP said, you can put up an order card to discreetly tell the staff someone is talking/on the phone. I’ve only had to use the feature once and it worked like a charm!

• @Z4rK@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      64 months ago

Man I get annoyed just by people eating chips next to me. Yours are horror stories.

• P03 Locke
      link
      fedilink
      English
      23 months ago

Also, I can PAUSE the fucking movie!

• Need to handle some outside event. Pause the movie!
      • Somebody needs to go to the bathroom. Pause the movie!
      • Didn’t hear an important piece of dialogue. Rewind the movie!
      • Want to go grab a snack. Pause the movie!

It’s almost like I set up a home theater for a reason…

• @Crackhappy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      12 months ago

I must be lucky. I think I’ve only had a bad experience once. A few teenagers were making a ruckus so I went and talked to them and asked them nicely to shut up. They did.