Schindler’s List director says in speech marking 30th anniversary of the USC Shoah Foundation that he is alarmed that ‘we may … once again have to fight for the very right to be Jewish’.

In remarks reported by Deadline, Spielberg said: “Those who can not remember the past are condemned to repeat it. I am increasingly alarmed that we may be condemned to repeat history – to once again have to fight for the very right to be Jewish.”

He added: “The echoes of history are unmistakable in our current climate. The rise of extremist views has created a dangerous environment, and radical intolerance leads a society to no longer celebrate differences but instead conspire to demonise those who are different to the point of creating ‘the Other’… This is happening alongside anti-Muslim, Arab, and Sikh discrimination. The creation of ‘the Other’ and the dehumanisation of any group based on their differences, is the foundation of fascism.”

Spielberg also directly addressed the current conflict in Gaza for the first time, saying: “We can rage against the heinous acts committed by the terrorists of October 7th and also decry the killing of innocent women and children in Gaza.”

• @Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Conflating anti Semitism and anti Zionism is just really old and stupid.

Spielberg is speaking for the Shoah foundation which helped manufacture consent for israel’s Genocide by shoving in random Holocaust survivors claiming resistance to Genocide is Genocide.

Spielberg is still trying to shove in israel’s victim complex. This is pure optics.

• some_guy
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      3 months ago

don’t fucking tag me in your uninformed political garbage

• livusOP
        link
        fedilink
        13 months ago

Huh? I was just replying directly to your comment to me. It was like a week ago, maybe you’d forgotten.

You used to be on kbin so you know it autopopulates the tags.

Btw I see it gave me two here:
        @some_guy and @some_guy. How are you finding lemmy?

• some_guy
          link
          fedilink
          13 months ago

🙄

learn how to use @ before you do any more internet today please.

fucking children.

• livusOP
            link
            fedilink
            13 months ago

Could you please block me?

I’d rather you didn’t comment on my posts if you’re going to get all weird and aggressive about me replying to you, and the easiest way to achieve that is if you block me.

@some_guy

@some_guy