Schindler’s List director says in speech marking 30th anniversary of the USC Shoah Foundation that he is alarmed that ‘we may … once again have to fight for the very right to be Jewish’.

In remarks reported by Deadline, Spielberg said: “Those who can not remember the past are condemned to repeat it. I am increasingly alarmed that we may be condemned to repeat history – to once again have to fight for the very right to be Jewish.”

He added: “The echoes of history are unmistakable in our current climate. The rise of extremist views has created a dangerous environment, and radical intolerance leads a society to no longer celebrate differences but instead conspire to demonise those who are different to the point of creating ‘the Other’… This is happening alongside anti-Muslim, Arab, and Sikh discrimination. The creation of ‘the Other’ and the dehumanisation of any group based on their differences, is the foundation of fascism.”

Spielberg also directly addressed the current conflict in Gaza for the first time, saying: “We can rage against the heinous acts committed by the terrorists of October 7th and also decry the killing of innocent women and children in Gaza.”

• @Immersive_Matthew@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    863 months ago

From the article.

Spielberg also directly addressed the current conflict in Gaza for the first time, saying: “We can rage against the heinous acts committed by the terrorists of October 7th and also decry the killing of innocent women and children in Gaza.”

• livusOP
      link
      fedilink
      343 months ago

Also this was interesting:

Spielberg has not signed the open letter criticising Zone of Interest director Jonathan Glazer’s Oscar acceptance speech.

• @boredtortoise@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          163 months ago

It was something like they made this movie to reflect atrocities in the past and present, and they refute to be connected to Israel who is committing their acts in the name of all the jewish

• @triptrapper@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          113 months ago

“We stand here as men who refute their Jewishness and the Holocaust being hijacked by an occupation, which has led to conflict for so many innocent people. Whether the victims of October the 7th in Israel or the ongoing attack on Gaza, all [are] victims of this dehumanization.”

• @kralk@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            63 months ago

To add - the media reported only the part which said “we refute our Jewishness”, without the additional context. Hence the controversy.

• @triptrapper@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              53 months ago

Yes, I also think it could have been worded a little more clearly. But definitely not Glazer’s fault that he was misrepresented.

• @delirious_owl
          link
          English
          -43 months ago

That just means One State, but its ambiguous if its pro Israeli or pro Palestinian

• @Immersive_Matthew@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        313 months ago

Right. He got close to calling that out without saying the word genocide which it absolutely is. I am truly shocked that in my lifetime I am seeing the same atrocities committed toward the Jewish people, now being committed by them on others. Really a sad underscore of human nature. I guess what goes round comes round.

• @invisiblegorilla@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          93 months ago

Yeah this is what bothers me the most, and no doubt fuels the ‘maybe Hitler was right’ tinfoilers. Israel isnt doing the Jewish any favours right now.

• Neato
      link
      fedilink
      English
      43 months ago

Yeah he’s right. That first part can be about America or the world at large, not specifically Gaza.

• @fluxion@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    463 months ago

In remarks reported by Deadline, Spielberg said: “Those who can not remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

I wish people would put a bit more thought into that when they repeat it

• livusOP
      link
      fedilink
      433 months ago

@fluxion I agree. I think he has put thought into it. That’s why this was worth posting.

The people in here who think he’s supporting the genocide unfortunately didn’t read past the first paragraph.

• @FriendBesto@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Yeah, the actual term was State sponsored extra-judiciary assassinations. Just so we are all on the same page just to call a spade a spade.

• This is fine🔥🐶☕🔥
        link
        fedilink
        English
        53 months ago

His protagonists were second guessing themselves even when they were killing the terrorists.

I don’t understand what is it that you’re trying to say here.

• qevlarr
    link
    fedilink
    English
    163 months ago

It’s easy to condemn antisemitism. Do you condemn Israel?

• Encrypt-Keeper
      link
      fedilink
      English
      303 months ago

Not only did you not read the article, you didn’t even read the summary on the lemmy post.

• @localhost443@discuss.tchncs.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    83 months ago

Disappointing language… Describing one as heinous, then following with decry makes the far larger scale atrocities in that conflict come across as a tacked on footnote in his speech. While its essentially a genocide happening as we speak, by the people who claim to lead the people he was speaking about.

Felt like it was going somewhere only to end with weakness.

• @Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        3 months ago

Conflating anti Semitism and anti Zionism is just really old and stupid.

Spielberg is speaking for the Shoah foundation which helped manufacture consent for israel’s Genocide by shoving in random Holocaust survivors claiming resistance to Genocide is Genocide.

Spielberg is still trying to shove in israel’s victim complex. This is pure optics.

• some_guy
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        3 months ago

don’t fucking tag me in your uninformed political garbage

• livusOP
          link
          fedilink
          13 months ago

Huh? I was just replying directly to your comment to me. It was like a week ago, maybe you’d forgotten.

You used to be on kbin so you know it autopopulates the tags.

Btw I see it gave me two here:
          @some_guy and @some_guy. How are you finding lemmy?

• some_guy
            link
            fedilink
            13 months ago

🙄

learn how to use @ before you do any more internet today please.

fucking children.

• livusOP
              link
              fedilink
              13 months ago

Could you please block me?

I’d rather you didn’t comment on my posts if you’re going to get all weird and aggressive about me replying to you, and the easiest way to achieve that is if you block me.

@some_guy

@some_guy

• Binthinkin
    link
    fedilink
    -83 months ago

Yo Steve, your wealthy conservative Jews have sold out to racism. We know what Chabad is. We know what the Orthodoxy is and does. We know crazy rabbis in NJ sell organs on the black market. Quit whining and clean up your own.

• @drislands@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      153 months ago

Way to show you didn’t read even the blurb.

Spielberg also directly addressed the current conflict in Gaza for the first time, saying: “We can rage against the heinous acts committed by the terrorists of October 7th and also decry the killing of innocent women and children in Gaza.

• MuchPineapples
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        3 months ago

Ah as long as it’s only innocent men it’s ok. It’s also ok to blow up residential buildings, school, and universities to rob the people of any chance to rebuild. It’s also ok to mock and torture prisoners. It’s also ok just to starve an entire people, since starvation is very difficult to actually die from since most will die of their disgusting Palestinian diseases before that due to the weaked immune system. As long as it’s done by a Jewish person that is, of course. Only people who were once the exterminatee can be the exterminator, as is known.