• @rab@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    3 months ago

I also feel the same about Jews. There aren’t very many religious beliefs I am tolerant of.

Charity and religion have nothing to do with each other btw lol. People can be charitable without being religious.

Christians, for example, are only “charitable” because they are trying to recruit members. Do you have any idea how much wealth is sitting at the top of the catholic church hierarchy?

• @rab@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        3 months ago

You already said it yourself, the majority of the world is religious. The two things aren’t correlated though.

Now google “residential schools” or “the crusades” for example lol

• @lemmywinks
          link
          -203 months ago

Apparently you didn’t read any of the hundreds of studies mentioned there showing religious people are more charitable.

• @rab@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            3 months ago

Yeah to recruit members, it’s just a business.

Ever been to eastern Europe and visited the fancy gold plated cathedrals? Notice who is driving the new Mercedes s550 parked in the parking lot, and notice what the church attendees are driving. Charitable my ass.

• @lemmywinks
              link
              -113 months ago

You have anecdotal claims. They don’t rise to the level of proof that the studies I mentioned do. Your claim is easily proven false, it doesn’t matter if you can’t accept that.

• @exanime@lemmy.today
                link
                fedilink
                93 months ago

You have anecdotal claims. They don’t rise to the level of proof that the studies I mentioned do.

What studies? You posted a Google search and have made about a dozen claims with no backing in his thread alone

• @cosmicrookie@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  33 months ago

My dude… you are debating with an account that is less than 1 day old and has less than 20 comments (most of which are with you).

Nothing good will come out of this when they need a burner account to state their beliefs

• @rab@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                3 months ago

Well, go give poland a visit, it’s not the watered down version of christianity that americans are subjected to. They literally run the entire country. That’s what happens when you let religion take over.

I’m not downvoting you btw, it’s kind of refreshing speaking to a religious person on lemmy haha

• @pop@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            63 months ago

my brother in hell, if I believed in religion, and my religion says giving some amount to it or someone else gets me express pass to heaven, i’d be donating like crazy too. I’d be donating more if I know I’ve done horrible things and need more “blessing.”

The charity doesn’t negate the bad things religion has done.

• @gdog05@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          73 months ago

If Christians didn’t hamstring non -Christian groups and government services at every turn, there would be no need for these charities and/or the most popular charities would not be the ones feeding bibles to starving people.

• @cosmicrookie@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            53 months ago

I dont mind Christians being charitable. I do oppose them using it to recruits or to pressure people in need to listen to their preachings. That’s not charity that is exploitation. True charity wants nothing in return.