• @Excrubulent@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    13 months ago

It absolutely is on the cutting edge in lots of ways. It can move faster than other systems that have to wait for full releases to make major changes, and those changes don’t have to satisfy a board of directors by incorporating the latest buzzword scams. The problem is that it doesn’t have critical mass. This works on a similar network effect to what we see in the fediverse. It will just take getting to a tipping point where hardware and software makers can no longer ignore it, and then I think we’ll quickly see a change. It’s already happened in servers and general hacker gear and maker stuff. It just hasn’t quite made it there for the desktop. Who knows how long that will take.

• @ericjmorey
      link
      English
      13 months ago

Linux certainly has the possibility of being cutting edge in the consumer market but isn’t and there’s disincentive from a social and economic standpoint to make me confident that it will likely never be. Companies like System76 give me a but of hope though. (Although I suspect that they have long-term plans to adopt RedoxOS as their primary OS eventually.