• Gabe BellOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    -73 months ago

I think you are focusing on the wrong part of the post if that is your takeaway from it.

• LoudWaterHombre
      link
      fedilink
      153 months ago

No if it’s misinformation trying to sell a feeling rather than facts it’s actually the right thing to focus on. As I said, it’s not like I’m defending the argument, that you have nothing to hide yada yada, I’m not the guy that needs convincing, I’m already trying to convince others.

• Gabe BellOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -43 months ago

He goes on to say that privacy is the foundation of all other rights.

Also the actual idea that “if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear” is bullshit seems to be quite importance.

Whether you realise it or not, you are implying that because he got the source of the quote wrong, everything else he said is not worth listening to. That somehow he is invalidated as a source for EVERYTHING HE SAYS because of this one thing.

Which most peoplew ould fundametnally disagree with.

• LoudWaterHombre
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          3 months ago

Well I already said multiple times, I’m not arguing against privacy, but the fact this whole post wraps around “i didnt know the origin of the quote” and its not only false but also he apparently didn’t even make that claim in the first place is baffling to me. There are one million and two good arguments for privacy and against the stupidity of the nothing to hide reply, but spreading emotionally manipulative misinformation to create an artificial feeling of a deadbeat argument is not the right approach.

I don’t get why you put so much effort into shifting the view away from half the content of the post instead of just admitting to misinformation or sending sources. There are people out there that see text on a picture with, Snowden interview in the back and actually think it’s legit information. It’s necessary to highlight fact from fiction so people don’t get a wrong sense of reality, which is a problem we are currently facing across the globe.

my friend who is ex military, has a smart house built around amazon Alexa said he had nothing to hide, when i rebuffed with how that phrase has nazi ties he’d gone white.

propaganda is an amazingly powerful thing all you need is a catchy sentence and itll will be repeated years after.

Just look at this comment from @squid_slime@lemm.ee

• @squid_slime@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            23 months ago

the quite had been used by authoritarian regimes, as i understand it the Nazi’s didn’t use the direct quite as they don’t speak English and things don’t translate but they did say and depict similar sentiments.

not to say your wrong as your not just saying that using Nazis as a vehicle to get the point across isn’t completely dishonest, usually best to use a more broad approach like “authoritarian regimes” rather than Nazis

• LoudWaterHombre
              link
              fedilink
              13 months ago

There is no evidence of this speech nor of Göbbels coining the phrase in any way. It’s not a language barrier problem.

• LoudWaterHombre
                  link
                  fedilink
                  13 months ago

[…] as i understand it the Nazi’s didn’t use the direct quite as they don’t speak English and things don’t translate but they did say and depict similar sentiments.

This is the part I replied to.

• @squid_slime@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    13 months ago

okay so where did you mentioning Göbbels come from, or a speech. in my original response to you tagging me i had not mentioned Göbbels or a speech but rather than a normal dialogue you put words i had never said in my mouth.

• Gabe BellOP
            link
            fedilink
            English
            -33 months ago

Because it is one phrase in one part of one frame of the entire post.

Yeah it’s wrong. Plenty of people have pointed it out already (you appear to have read the entire thread so you cannot have missed the fact other people have pointed it out as well).

But, as I said, to suggest that that is the most important part of the interview – he fucked up and that is ALL WE MUST PAY ATTENTION TO – is… just wrong. It is, quite frankly, something the NSA would have us to do discredit everything else he says.

Also there are quotes from three or four other people in the entire length of the post. All of which I am pretty sure are accurately sourced. Unless you think Terry Pratchett stole his work from Stalin.

• LoudWaterHombre
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              3 months ago

It’s actually two frames and the title of the entire post that points to this conclusion, so yeah… Why are you coming at me with these straw man arguments that the NSA would and take into consideration I believe Terry Pratchett stole from Stalin. What does that have to so with the fact that the claim is neither correct 'nor did he actually say that in the interview.

I have not read every comment, but I’m thrilled seeing your debate there. I’m going to look into it.

Edit: Haha “plenty of people” dude why are you so butthurt and offended about it?