• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    362 months ago

What’s dystopian is a child having to work to pay for their mother’s tombstone in the first place.

• @Agent641@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      122 months ago

Maybe. Maybe she felt powerless and wanted to do something, anything, to feel like she was contributing during the process. Without more context its hard to say. People act in weird ways when loved ones die, maybe she’s channeling her pain into something productive.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        52 months ago

Valid point. I wish I could read the article, but I’m not disabling my dns server to do it.

• @WoahWoah@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        12 months ago

Karli had not had insurance, and on top of the grief felt from her loss, her family was tasked with thinking of ways to pay for her funeral costs.

“We started doing stuff to come up with money to cover it all, and Emouree started this little lemonade stand,” Bordner said.

• WIZARD POPE💫
      link
      fedilink
      22 months ago

Apparently you just as I did not read the article. After actually reading it, it seems that the girl is just a generous person and likes helping others. Nowhere does it specifically say they did jot have the funds for the tombstone and it might just be her way of coping. The title does still make it sound hella dystopian though.

• @WoahWoah@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        02 months ago

Karli had not had insurance, and on top of the grief felt from her loss, her family was tasked with thinking of ways to pay for her funeral costs.

“We started doing stuff to come up with money to cover it all, and Emouree started this little lemonade stand,” Bordner said.

• downpunxx
      link
      fedilink
      -132 months ago

poor people exist, poor mothers die, this is not dystopian, it’s the human condition, it maybe unfair, and point to an unfair system, but it’s not dystopian, this isn’t new, and it isn’t imagines, it’s the way things always have been. words have meaning. and this doesn’t mean that.

• @14th_cylon@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Choose one

Dystopia doesn’t mean what you think it does. Hint: it is not existence of poor people. It doesn’t have anything to do with poor people at all.

• @14th_cylon@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              2 months ago

my point is that poor does not automatically imply dystopian and therefor your a suggestion to the contrary (choose between “poor” and “not dystopian”) is not true, as can be seen in this handy matrix

poverty is attribute that can be present in dystopia, but it is not a necessity.

in most major dystopias in popular culture (1984, Fahrenheit 451, blade runner, logan’s run) the poverty is not the defining factor.

and on the opposite side, people can be poor, struggling through hardships, but still be looking for a bright future instead of feeling oppressed or dystopian.

as can be seen in scifi colonization stories or in real life communities in poor countries. despite lacking the wealth of the top 10% of western population, without our mortgages or antidepressants (or maybe just because of that), they can be much happier.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        52 months ago

You’re the type of person this sub targets, buddy.

I’m sure you think the teacher who had to have their colleagues donate sick time so they could be with their child with cancer, or the kid who sold candles to pay for his friend’s wheelchair is heartwarming too.

The whole point is that people having to do stuff like that in the first place is bad, and is the result of a very sick society.