• @pearsaltchocolatebar
      link
      182 months ago

Likely because honey has anti-inflammatory properties.

The local honey myth is about using the honey as a form of allergy immunotherapy since it would be from local pollen.

• @Asafum@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        52 months ago

I thought it would work until I realized I’ve been exposing myself to pollen every damn year as it is. If my body was ever going to get used to it then it would have already lol

Now I just keep eating the honey because it’s honey, why not? Lol

• @Corkyskog@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          22 months ago

The concept is its very concentrated, but because it’s broken down in the stomach you won’t likely have an allergic reaction. I didn’t know people used honey when they sell bee pollen for the exact purpose.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
          link
          22 months ago

That’s different. With peanuts you’re directly ingesting the allergen. With honey you have to hope that enough of the allergen, survived the honey making process, assuming you’re allergic to something bees make honey from.

There’s no question that allergy immunotherapy is legit, but honey is unlikely to be a viable method of it.

• @whoisearth@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      142 months ago

50 - 80g of honey a day?! Allergies are gone hello diabetes!

Seriously 1g honey to 1kg of body mass is insane. This is obviously ignoring the cost which is also insane.

• @Smoogs@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          2 months ago

Hey don’t get all up in my crank. It’s the study posted that made the conclusion about what it takes for allergen success.

• @Zink@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            62 months ago

Yeah the study used 1g/kg. So if we use nice round numbers, a 100kg person would be doing 100g of honey or roughly 80g of sugar to start the day. That’s more than a 20oz (568ml) bottle of Coke!