• LennethAegis
    link
    fedilink
    602 months ago

I don’t know much about him, but reading that he lost the young people vote for supporting the Vietnam War is such a good parallel for today.

• Patapon Enjoyer
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Damn, it sounds like he shouldn’t have supported that war. If only people had warned him about it.

• @Dagwood222@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      172 months ago

LBJ realized he’d made a giant mistake and hoped Humphrey could end the War. Nixon ran as a ‘peace’ candidate and made things much worse.

Trump’s people would nuke the entire Middle East hoping to bring about the Rapture.

• @go_go_gadget@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        -42 months ago

At what point does Biden realize he’s made a giant mistake? You’re lecturing us for not paying attention to history. Is Biden?

• @Dagwood222@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          82 months ago

Turn it around.

Can you lay out a detailed plan showing Biden exactly what to do? Something that covers not just the Palestinians and the Israelis, but alos the iranians, the sryians, the russians, the Saudis, and all the other interested and highly armed parties in the region?

I have no idea how to restart a problem that’s been formenting since 1948, do you?

• @Dagwood222@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              102 months ago

If you think it’s that simple, you probably believed Trump was going to get Mexico to pay for the Wall.

• @go_go_gadget@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                2 months ago

You asked me a question and I answered it. Are you going to answer my question now?

At what point does Biden realize he’s made a giant mistake? You’re lecturing us for not paying attention to history. Is Biden?

Or hell, let me ask you. Given the choice between supporting Israel or Biden winning the election which would you choose?

• @Dagwood222@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  72 months ago

You’re very funny.

You act as if you have absolutely zero understanding of the complexities of the situation, and then demand that I ignore them, too.

Israel has nukes. Think they wouldn’t use them if Iran invaded? Think they wouldn’t throw a few at Mecca and Moscow as a farewell gift?

That’s just one thing I’ve thought about. Biden probably has fifty worse scenarios from people who have studied the situation for years.

Pretending that just stopping is a realistic option is childish at best.

• @Honytawk@lemmy.zip
              link
              fedilink
              22 months ago

Biden can’t decide that

It was decided by a treaty like 75 years ago.

To overthrow it would take massive changes and breaking contracts. Doable, but not in the time frame you want.

It really isn’t as simple as you think.

• Dark Arc
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Assuming you’re in the LGBT spectrum … sorry to say even there you might not be safe if Trump gets a second term. Things have softened for the LGB so those folks might be okay, but trans folks … I’d be worried.

It also weakens purple states and national power when blue voters move out of purple states… Personally, I’d highly encourage folks moving to purple states to turn them more blue.

Michigan or Pennsylvania might be a good choice. I keep holding out for Ohio, but we need to give the gerrymandering issues (hopefully we finally will this year).

• Fire Witch
          link
          fedilink
          62 months ago

As a trans person in a deep blue state, I’m hoping my state’s politics give me just enough buffer time that I can find a way to GTFO before the gestapo comes for me

• @captainlezbian@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          42 months ago

Yeah, nowhere is confirmed safe. Fascism is attempting to ascend. Welcome to the 1930s, get a passport and fill a backpack with non perishable calorie dense food.

• @PRUSSIA_x86@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          32 months ago

Living in Ohio with my trans husband, we’re moving to Vermont this summer to get away from it all. I feel like I’m shirking my duty by taking our votes with us, but we really don’t want to be here come November. Ohio has gone to Trump two for two, and I’m not feeling lucky on number three.

• @Entropywins@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            32 months ago

Do what’s right for you and your partner, and then we can all continue to work on community, state, and country!!!

• Dark Arc
            link
            fedilink
            English
            22 months ago

I’ll miss your vote, but I totally get it. Stay safe!

• snownyte
        link
        fedilink
        12 months ago

Go to Vermont. Like, seriously. Even though that state has a republican governor, Vermont is like one of the few states that gives a shit about a lot of rights.