Could this be a cautionary tale for another recently turned VR-maker tech giant?

• atocci
    link
    fedilink
    161 year ago

As much as I hate it because it’s Meta, they’re the only ones still currently pushing mainstream VR tech forwards, and I like VR. I’d love to buy a headset from any other manufacturer, but there’s no affordable alternative. I’m in a weird position here. I don’t want them to fail out of the VR market because things would stagnate hard, but I also don’t want them to succeed in their vision of it.

• Ganondorf
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      1 year ago

they’re the only ones still currently pushing mainstream VR tech forwards

The cost of the Apple headset is insane. I’m really curious to see how well it sells, but Apple product sales are always hard to predict.

• atocci
        link
        fedilink
        51 year ago

I feel like the cost alone pushes it out of the mainstream tech category. It’s not even in the same product class as the Quest Pro, let alone the Quest 2 or 3. Even if it sells well, I don’t think it will bring more development to affordable headsets.

• nicetriangle
        link
        fedilink
        41 year ago

Apple’s apparently also targeting cheaper headsets but not at first. I’m real curious what those would price out at and what kind of compromises that will come with compared to the higher end stuff they’re making.

• conciselyverbose
        link
        fedilink
        31 year ago

It’s cheap for what it is. High resolution (lower than Vision Pro) VR headsets are already expensive. Just the display from someone else is probably $2K. No one else can pass through the real world in full resolution/color with hyper low latency, either, and all that’s before being a full fledged computer of capability.

It’s not the mass market version, but the pricing is aggressive for the hardware.

• @crazystuff
      link
      21 year ago

PlayStation just launched PSVR2, I’m considering buying one

• atocci
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I gotta say, I forgot that existed but I’m glad you pointed that out! At least there’s another out there if things go south with Meta. I don’t have a PlayStation myself, but it’s great there would still be someone out there innovating.

• @Kanzar@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        11 year ago

It’s tethered, uncomfortable (even stock quest2 was more comfortable for me and now I have third party accessories that make it even more comfortable), and you can’t pcvr. Can’t recommend unless you’re a ps5 user, and even then the number of games available is very small.