• substill
    link
    fedilink
    English
    171 year ago

VR’s issue isn’t just price. It’s obtrusiveness. You can watch TV or play a game in a room with others and often with other things going on. With VR, you need more or less a total commitment to isolation. That inherently limits It to niche users.

My Quest has basically been picking up dust since the day I got it because my life isn’t conducive to shutting out the world.

• @Mic_Check_One_Two@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

One of the biggest issues I encountered with mine was simply needing space. Nobody wants to rearrange all the furniture in their living room every time they want to play a video game. It caters almost entirely to people with large houses or spare rooms, where they can dedicate an entire space to VR. Because if you need all the furniture up against the walls to play VR, that doesn’t necessarily work when you also want to use the space as a living room, office, or den. Because the alternative is constantly hitting walls, furniture, ceiling fans, etc…

And that’s a very tight demographic, because (on top of being very expensive) it automatically excludes pretty much anyone who lives in a city or small/mid-sized apartment/townhome.

• @RaoulDook@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      -21 year ago

That sounds like a problem that you might have if you live in a war zone or something. But anyone else who has some downtime can easily jump into a VR game and have a blast.

I guess another situation that would make VR hard to use is if you have dozens of small creatures running around near your feet. If you’re raising an army of cats or ferrets, something like that.

• substill
        link
        fedilink
        English
        71 year ago

My small kids almost qualify as an army of cats or ferrets, and they absolutely insist on being fed, watered, and interacted with.

• @RaoulDook@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          011 months ago

Yep that’s no problem to accomplish and still use VR if you wanted to. Nobody said you have to neglect your kids to use it, you just might have to wait until they’re in bed or away.