A very busy week, didn’t get to do any reading at all.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening lately?

A reminder about our Book Bingo. Take look, if you haven’t already.

• @misericordiae@literature.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Finished A Wizard of Earthsea for bingo. I wasn’t really in the right headspace for the narrative style, which made reading it more of a slog than I think it deserved, but I did enjoy the story. It’s not hard to see why Hayao Miyazaki wanted to adapt it: the themes, presentation, and all the little slice of life moments really feel tailor-made for a Ghibli film. (I haven’t seen Tales from* Earthsea.)

Definitely qualifies for: Now a Major Motion Picture, Older Than You Are (1968), Local to You hard mode (Oregon), (alt) A Change in Perspective

_

Started The Last Gifts of the Universe by Rory August last night. Only a few pages in, but it’s light and quippy so far, without being annoying.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      31 month ago

Huh, how come I didn’t know there was a Ghibli movie on A Wizard of Earthsea! Time to check it out!

• It ended up being Miyazaki’s son’s first movie, and is a mashup of the entire series and some other stuff. Famous for this tidbit (quoted from Wiki):

During a private screening prior to the film’s release, Gorō’s father, Hayao, was asked what he thought of the film. He said, “I was looking at my kid. He’s not an adult yet. That is all.”

Le Guin was also not a fan, so…