• “too” implies

a) they don’t matter yet

and

b) mattering is a new concept we should consider.

The statement is clear without modifier and requires no qualification, clarification or context: do black lives matter or not?

Or to take the inverse: under what circumstances do black lives not matter? If the answer is “there are none” then obviously black lives matter.

• You’re not wrong, I guess the biggest issue with it being misconstrued was by people who watch Fox news, but honestly Fox news was gonna find a way to spin it no matter what.

• @Steve@communick.news
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      1 month ago

I’m not sure if you’re arguing for or against “too”.

Because yah, police specifically, and society generally, have been acting as though black lives don’t matter. And the slogan “black lives matter” was created to argue against that idea. But it was easily confusing. Hell I was immediately confused the first time I heard it, and actually thought “Well yah. All lives matter. What are they talking about?” It took me a good min or two to understand. But simply adding the “too” immediately clarifies that.

“Black lives matter” isn’t wrong. It’s just not immediately as clear as it could be.