Finished Three Days to Never by Tim Powers. First half was pretty dense and slow, but second half, when things were getting obvious, and plans finally getting into motion, were very interesting, and was able to read them in just a few days.

It meets criteria for at least 3 different Bingo boxes, not sure where to place it. Would decide it later. ( @JaymesRS@literature.cafe We can do that right? Move them around different boxes after reading more books?)

Now I have just started Sunreach by Brandon Sanderson and Janci Patterson. It’s first of three novellas, which are between book 2 and 3. (Well, third novella is generally recommended to be read after book 3, but that’s a separate topic). It’s a small book, so hopefully will be able to finish it soon.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening to lately?

A regular reminder about our Book Bingo, and it’s Recommendation Post

We will be unfeaturing those posts now, so they won’t be sticky on the top anymore. They will be mentioned in each weekly thread though, and you can also check them in community sidebar.

• @dresdenOPM
    link
    English
    219 days ago

How’s the LingQ app? I am just using Duolingo these days, but have been looking at starting to read some long, actual text. Don’t really have enough proficiency yet, but it’s supposed to help you increase your vocabulary and languages skills much faster.

• @PDFuego@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      219 days ago

I really like it. The free version is completely useless sadly, but I paid for a month of premium, then when I tried to cancel the subscription they offered me 3 months at half price so I took it. I’ll probably keep it at full price when the discount period ends.

I use it alongside Duo and Memrise (which is meant to be getting overhauled again sometime very soon) and I find it by far the most useful and enjoyable. I’m really only keeping those going for the streaks at this point.

In LingQ you build a database of words you’ve seen which gets tracked across all media. You get a news feed of simple lessons and real atricles/videos, and you can import your own links so that you’re learning from real content, I used it for 3 weeks or so before importing an ebook. You tap new words to see their translation, then from then on its highlighted based on how familiar you are with it, and all lessons are broken down by the number of new/learned words so you can judge how difficult it will be before you go in.

If you want to try it I can give you a referral link that will give you an extra 100 free words (I think it’s only 20 to start with, which is why I said it was completely useless up top - that’s like 2 sentences), and if you do end up paying after that I think I get a percentage towards my premium or something, idk.

• @dresdenOPM
        link
        English
        119 days ago

Ah cool.

You can message me the referral link. If you need my email or anything, let me know.