I’m currently looking to develop an open source app that can help somebody. I’m currently out of ideas, so I’d like to heard if from you guys.

Sorry if it seems to lazy to ask for ideas like that, I just thought that I could do it since the result will be a free app.

• @delirious_owl
        link
        624 days ago

No, I’m not looking for an alternative. I’m looking for an open source client that let’s me talk to folks on WhatsApp.

• ah, hopefully with the Digital Markets Act in the EU, reliable bridging to Matrix with E2EE intact will come quickly. You can already bridge (e.g. I run mautrix-whatsapp), but its not in an ideal state

• @delirious_owl
            link
            224 days ago

Even with a matrix bridge, you still have to run WhatsApp – the official closed source client. It doesn’t solve that problem

I want a way to not have to run closed source software to communicate with users on WhatsApp

• Semperverus
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        24 days ago

A closer analogy would be XMPP since that’s what whatsapp is based on.

The best open source client for it is Conversations for Android ($0 on F-Droid, $3 on google play except during christmas when it’s $0)

• Semperverus
            link
            fedilink
            English
            edit-2
            24 days ago

What I mean by closer is code-wise. On the backend, WhatsApp literally uses XMPP. The big difference is that WhatsApp also has a few proprietary plugins, and a singular client that uses these and hides away the fact that it’s all XMPP.

• @toastal@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              124 days ago

That’s why it’s less janky & doesn’t take minutes to join a room unlike Matrix. WhatsApp to the XTENSIBLE part of XMPP & extended it in a proprietary direction, but at least you have the option to easily do so with XML.

I don’t know what Matrix is giving users other than the eventual consistency model of chat, but most users don’t need the entire chat history of everything—you could argue it is an anti-feature that makes self-hosting too expensive in comparison & also leads to chat overuse/abuse ala Slack/Telegram/Discord where folks treat it as a forum that you can barely search when you have an account while being authenticated & where messages/topics get easily lost. For instance, you can replace an ’announcements room’ with a Atom feed.

• I’ve been using it as my only form of messaging with most of my contacts for several years, many of whom have little knowledge of technology. It’s really not.

• @delirious_owl
        link
        edit-2
        24 days ago

The signal app does not let me send messages to WhatsApp users.

• @delirious_owl
            link
            223 days ago

The web app version requires you to install the nonfree app. This is circular logic.

• @delirious_owl
                link
                edit-2
                23 days ago

Yeah and not just once. Iirc if their proprietary, closed-source app doesnt call home to their mother ship at least every 2 weeks, then all your WhatsApp Web sessions get deauth’d.

We really need a way to use WhatsApp without using the original spyware app.

• Well even if someone creates it, it will still act like a web session. It will just be a frontend. You can’t create a separate app with authentication and everything because it’s proprietary (so you can’t see how authentication works) and messages are E2EE

• @delirious_owl
                    link
                    edit-2
                    23 days ago

Of course you can. Its just more difficult.

• Vik
      link
      fedilink
      English
      624 days ago

Signal I suppose would be the closest analog

• @delirious_owl
        link
        524 days ago

No, I’m not looking for an alternative. I’m looking for an open source client that let’s me talk to folks on WhatsApp.

• Vik
          link
          fedilink
          English
          324 days ago

I see, fair enough. I don’t know if you’ll have any luck with a FOSS third party client which does t violate their TOS. There was something on fdroid years ago, a wrapper that effectively allowed you to use WhatsApp Web on another phone (or perhaps even the same one), but it ultimately requried the use of the official clients

• @delirious_owl
            link
            124 days ago

If you use one of those WhatsApp web apps, you still have to use the closed source app. It doesn’t solve the problem

• Vik
              link
              fedilink
              English
              123 days ago

Yes, I already aluded to this. Point being, I don’t think you’ll find a viable FOSS front end since it would violate their TOS.

• @delirious_owl
                link
                123 days ago

Most people don’t care about violating ToS. Its not a risk to an open source project.

• Vik
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  123 days ago

It is to

A: the continuity of said project (DMCA) and B: to the individual end users.

You can use FOSS clients for things like Discord or the Google play store but you still run the risk of getting banned.

• @delirious_owl
                    link
                    122 days ago

Shit, I get banned by their shitty ML algos when I do comply with their ToS. I don’t think most people care about the risk of having to create new accounts, since they’re already forced to do so already.

• @bazmatazable@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      424 days ago

This and so many others that are irreplaceable because of the Network effect. Google Maps, Uber and so on…

However if you are looking for a self contained app to bring into the Foss ecosystem then I would recommend making a game that you like?

My first game that I bought on Google Play was Osmos making a version of this that is open source would make me happy…

• @abominable_panda@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      24 days ago

Edit: someones already mentioned these below… nevermind!

If youre in the EU then EU parliament forced whatsapp to start developing cross-app communications with Signal, telegram etc. (Source). This was in 2022 and was due to be released in March 2024. Im not sure where it got to though since i dont use whatsapp, though i might start asking some friends to see if its rolled out.

Alternatively there are “matrix bridges”. Namely via Matrix which can link messaging apps through matrix accounts and send messages between