• @rist097@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    651 year ago

Not the first time that person was looking around for reasons to be outraged and ban communities. I hope they decide to go isolated and defederate from all instances.

Illegal content should be removed in any case, but there is nothing illegal here.

• @deafboy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      111 year ago

Illegal where? You can’t run a federated system and keep it functioning AND legal everywhere all the time. There are 100s of jurisdictions, each of them constantly changing the rules.

The fediverse is set up somewhere in the grey zone. It has all the disadvantages of decentralized system (has to communicate with untrusted peers), while also having all the disadvantages of centralized system (having childish admins, who are also bound by their local jurisdictions).

The general direction is good, and the p2p ecosystem is better than a decade ago, but this is still not the final form, I’m afraid.

I’m just glad that there’s a ton of money at stake in the big league, and large ISPs can’t afford to act like this most of the time.

• @rist097@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -71 year ago

Yes this is a honest concern, I tend to agree that there should be more freedom here, and things like piracy should be allowed. As well as total free speech, none of that paradox of tolerance bullshit everyone is trying to push whenever they want to censor someone.

However, I think though we can all agree that child abuse and CP is not allowed.

• @rist097@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            -61 year ago

Because it’s just a thought experiment that is taken dogmatically, while in reality is just used by fascists to censor the free speech

• @Claidheamh@slrpnk.net
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              1 year ago

So, you have no arguments against it, you just don’t like that people use it to shut out intolerant discourse?

By the way, it’s not “just a thought experiment”. It’s a philosophical principle that Popper put out there as self-preservation for democratic societies. You can argue its merits all you want, but you haven’t so far.

• 👁️👄👁️
      link
      fedilink
      English
      51 year ago

Trans servers usually are extremely trigger happy with anything they slightly disagree with, so this is very on brand

• @HamSwagwich@showeq.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      31 year ago

This.

How can anyone not realize what a shit hole bahaj.zone is?

I realized what a crappy instance it was during the first few days of the migration, how could anyone have missed it?

It’s basically a blue haired tumbler girl instance that’s full of stupid as shit juvenile memes and manufactured outrage.

Nothing of value is lost by them defederating from everyone.

• downpunxx
      link
      fedilink
      -381 year ago

doesn’t have to be illegal, to be unwanted, if you want to see all that nsfw stuff, browse that instance and subscribe to it’s communities, the great many of us, don’t want that fucking disgusting bullshit on our feeds without requesting it, is the issue, you see

• @Odusei@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        421 year ago

But you can block whatever communities you want. I’ve blocked a lot of different communities that have content I don’t like, and now they’re not in my feed.

• @rist097@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        341 year ago

Well maybe its unwanted by you, but it might be wanted by someone else.

I have no problem with anything having its space as long as its legal.

I never saw a NSFW post on lemmy actually, I have NSFW content hidden by default and it works great. Even though I am not interested in that content, I can respect that some people are.

This is also why I think banning communities because someone felt slightly offended is not the way to go. Lemmy already has a good way of moderating content per user, and you can ban communities and never see their content. I dont think instance admins should be removing anything other than illegal content.

• @deafboy@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        221 year ago

Why would you browse an unfiltered feed if it’s not what you want?

I always looked at it like walking down the street. Some people might disgust me, but it’s a shared space. Unless they persnoally harass me, I have no right to attack them.

• norbert
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Can you not opt out of seeing NSFW magazines? I see your acct is on kbin, pretty sure that’s an option.

• Fitik
        link
        fedilink
        151 year ago

I’m on kbin and haven’t seen nsfw content on my feed once, you can just turn off the NSFW content in settings

• Zorque
          link
          fedilink
          21 year ago

I have NSFW turned on and the last NSFW post I saw was literally just a picture of a cat.

• NikkiNikkiNikki
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            11 months ago

I believe there’s some sort of ‘soft’ filter in place since there were tons of complaints about seeing NSFW posts on the front page. Should be worked out soonish

edit : NSFW shows up properly now

• @DrGunjah@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        61 year ago

you can block communities in your settings but I kinda agree you should also be able to block whole instances as a user