• AwesomeLowlander
    link
    fedilink
    English
    520 days ago

You’re missing the point. You should never leave your home instance. Lemmy could automatically remap links to whatever your home instance is before you ever click on them.

• Max-P
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      20 days ago

Some UIs do, I have Tesseract on mine and it rewrites the links for me.

That doesn’t solve sharing a link on Matrix/Discord/Google or wherever. I rarely have this issue on Lemmy itself, but whenever I get a link from elsewhere, that’s when I need to be able to open it on my home instance so I can interact with it.

Same deal with Mastodon. You’re reading some news, it links so the dev’s Mastodon, you need a way to open it in your home instance.

There’s no fixing that.

EDIT: test self link to this comment https://lemmy.world/comment/10561034

• Max-P
        link
        fedilink
        English
        520 days ago

This is what that looks like on a good Lemmy frontend:

I forgot the default UI didn’t do that. Both Tesseract and Boost handle those mostly just fine.

• AwesomeLowlander
        link
        fedilink
        English
        220 days ago

Yeah, 3rd party links are a tougher nut to crack. You’d think they could at least fix the local links, though.

I can think of a few potential solutions, but they’d all require a lot of user opt in and centralisation, which makes it unlikely to ever happen.

• @ericjmorey
      link
      English
      220 days ago

I generally agree with you.

However, I want to encourge you to consider softening up your replies to people who you don’t have a strong prior social connection with. I’ve started making an effort to do that and I’ve found that I’m having more rewarding conversations now.