The 4th of July feels like a sad holiday to me. We celebrate an independence won over two centuries ago, like an out of shape former athlete reminiscing about his glory days on the high school football team.

What we need independence from today isn’t the British — who seem about as threatening as a glass of warm Ovaltine — but from modern tyrannies like big business and, of course, the national security state.

• @hypnoton
    link
    73 days ago

Consider, for instance, the publicly available itemized list of weapons provided to Ukraine, which the administration periodically updates. The transparency is because of fear of Congress taking the money away, and it is a signal to NATO that it had better follow suit. But still, the accounting is made public and the public benefits.

And yet no such list is available for U.S. military aid to Israel. (I’ve written about this here.)

“We’re being careful not to quantify or get into too much detail about what they’re getting — for their own operational security purposes, of course,” White House national security spokesperson retired rear admiral John Kirby said of U.S. arms assistance to Israel.

That’s because the admin considers Israel as a real ally, while Ukraine is a mere tool in the war against Russia.

The operational security of Ukraine is not that important to the admin.

Ukraine will be abandoned at some point or at least transfered over from the care of the USA to the care of the EU, and let EU do with Ukraine what EU wants.

In any case Israel =/= Ukraine, nor should they be equal.

That said I agree that the number 1 priority of our admin should be the American people! Instead the admin uses the American people as pawns in a geopolitical game of chess where the primary and often the only beneficiaries are the superrich.