I love literature as much as the next person but sometimes I want to just shut my brain off and immerse myself in a simple engaging story. Any suggestions?

• @Eq0@literature.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    310 months ago

This made me realize I don’t read a lot of feel good books. On the easy and chill, the Culture series is pretty good as far as I have read. Similar to the Dresden File, I enjoyed the Laundry Files. I got told that the female characters become more believable over the books and the writing improves, but the first books are already entertaining.

• @dresden
    link
    English
    210 months ago

Well, I guess The Dresden Files can be considered like that. The series is pretty easy to read, without using much brain power, but they are still lots of fun.

There are many crime series like that too. But I have only heard about them, haven’t read them personally.

Also, if you don’t mind progression fantasy, there are tons of web novels that fit the bill.

• Transient Punk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    210 months ago

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is a fun romp on its own, but it also has a ton to dig into it you want to, but definitely isn’t necessary.

• nlm
    link
    fedilink
    28 months ago

I usually stick to scifi but I do enjoy the likes of Dan Brown and Steve Berry. Fast paced historically ispired conspiracy mysteries or whatever you want to call them. It’s just plain fun. :)

When it comes to scifi Betty Chambers writes something akin to comfort scifi. Her books are like a warm blanket, just cozy all around!