The blocked resources in question? Automatic security and features updates and plugin/theme repository access. Matt Mullenweg reasserted his claim that this was a trademark issue. In tandem, WordPress.org updated its Trademark Policy page to forbid WP Engine specifically (way after the Cease & Desist): from “you are free to use [‘WP’] n any way you see fit” to a diatribe:

The abbreviation “WP” is not covered by the WordPress trademarks, but please don’t use it in a way that confuses people. For example, many people think WP Engine is “WordPress Engine” and officially associated with WordPress, which it’s not. They have never once even donated to the WordPress Foundation, despite making billions of revenue on top of WordPress.

https://techcrunch.com/2024/09/26/wordpress-vs-wp-engine-drama-explained attempts to provide a full chronology so far.

• @Yuzuki@lemmy.kikuri.moe
    link
    fedilink
    English
    15 hours ago

WordPress is total garbage and businesses should really stop outsourcing web development to a bunch of 3rd world outsourcing companies who hire “developers” for poverty wages that can’t even write a single line of code. Sites are getting stuffed with dozens of useless freemium plugins, everything uses jQuery, and it’s one giant security risk. Often times a static site generator can do the job just fine or use a headless CMS like payload. There are plenty of alternatives: https://jamstack.org/headless-cms/. WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, Wix, and all the other mutant leftover abominations belong in the trash and set on fire. Fucking normies and corpo boomers.

• subignition
    link
    fedilink
    48 hours ago

Fuck WordPress, but also it kinda sounds like WordPress is more in the right here.

• JohnEdwa
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1617 hours ago

WP Engine for WordPress.
      That seems to be the commonly accepted solution if you look at other 3rd party trademark cases - situations like “RIF is fun for Reddit” coming to mind.

• AatubeOP
      link
      fedilink
      717 hours ago

Like JohnEdwa said, using a trademark to refer to someone else’s product is considered nominative fair use: “referencing a mark to identify the actual goods and services that the trademark holder identifies with the mark.”

• AatubeOP
          link
          fedilink
          -117 hours ago

At most, they just ambiguously used “Powered by WordPress Experts” once. I don’t see how the evidence misleads people into thinking there was an endorsement.

IMO, dumb people confuse stuff all the time, like the Minecraft Gamepedia with the Minecraft Wikia back then. The meager amount of evidence presented does not convince me that WP Engine has done any actual harm to the WordPress brand.

But yeah, the smart way out would’ve been adding a “WP Engine is not associated with WordPress.org”, at least one below the “WP ENGINE®, VELOCITIZE®, TORQUE®, EVERCACHE®, and the cog logo service marks are owned by WPEngine, Inc.” footer. All in the past now, though. At the best both companies are tomfools.

• AatubeOP
              link
              fedilink
              -16 hours ago

Yes they can. It’s actually WordPress, so it’s nominative.

• @conciselyverbose@sh.itjust.works
                link
                fedilink
                English
                66 hours ago

No, they can’t, because no, it isn’t. That’s what trademarks are for. You can’t use a trademarked name to refer to your competing product.

Open source projects are generally permissive in terms of people repackaging their code for distribution for different platforms within reasonable guidelines, but even that is a sufficient change that they aren’t obligated to allow their trademarks to be used that way.

It is no longer Wordpress once it’s modified. That’s what trademark is for.

• AatubeOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  -25 hours ago

I think we should agree to disagree that it was modified enough here.

• @schizo@forum.uncomfortable.business
    link
    fedilink
    English
    6120 hours ago

Would it be wrong to hope they manage to commit some gross act of mutual destruction, and that the outcome would be that I never have to deal with Wordpress ever again?

• Praise Idleness
      link
      fedilink
      English
      69 hours ago

Genuine question: what is the real alternative to WP? Ghost sucks, Hugo, Jekyll has 0 client approval factor without some shitty third party thing. Wix, Squarespace is not open.

link
        fedilink
        English
        23 hours ago

I’ve been pushing Squarespace for most people who come to me asking about setting up a small store or just simple business website.

Yeah, it’s closed source and blah blah blah, but the end of the day, it’s not about my opinions on software, it’s about the most cost-effective, simple, usable option for the client who is asking me for my expertise, which is almost always not something they’re going to have to keep paying me to maintain.

Like if you really really want Wordpress, I’ll get you set up, and then quote you a couple thousand a year for maintenance.

Unshockprisingly, very few people think that’s the right choice once they see what the keep-it-from-being-exploited cost is.

(And for anyone who thinks that’s an unreasonable amount, okay cool. But maintaining a staging environment and testing updates and then pushing everything into production assuming there’s no regressions you have to address takes a lot of time.)

• Echo Dot
        link
        fedilink
        English
        38 hours ago

Wix and Squarespace managed to be even worse options anyway.

Anyway who cares what the client thinks, they don’t know anything that’s why they’re hiring a professional. The professional thing to do would be to convince them of the advantages of one of the listed options.

Anytime I’ve ever had to deal with WordPress I’ve always run up against the fact that it has limitations that the client doesn’t understand, and then at some point you end up redesigning it custom anyway. May as well save time and start out custom.

• @Pechente@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      2420 hours ago

That would be great but the reality is that client’s mindsets need to change. I tried to explain to a client that Wordpress is not a good fit for their complex web application and yet they didn’t wanna switch to anything else. People are way too worried about new tech and wanna stick with whatever they know, even if it causes massive problems.

• Echo Dot
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        8 hours ago

Wordpress is not a good fit for virtually any modern application. It’s designed as a blogging platform and basically no one makes blogs anymore. That functionality kind of got eaten up by Facebook and Twitter and LinkedIn, so no one needs blogs.

Instead of letting WordPress die the death it most definitely deserves they shoehorned in functionality, which would be fine if it wasn’t such a bodge job.

link
        fedilink
        English
        3019 hours ago

Wordpress is not a good fit for their complex web application

Seriously. People want to shove everything into Wordpress then get cranky when you can’t make Wordpress into a ecommerce store, marketing platform, personal blog, file sharing service, and NFT marketplace.

And then it gets hacked because they needed 14 SEO plugins, 2 different form plugins, and were not going to pay for managed updates because that’s easy they can do it themselves.

• kingthrillgore
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          7 minutes ago

If you’re trying to turn WordPress into an application, for christs sake go use Django, Laravel, or Rails. Don’t send a CMS to do an applications’ job.

Shit you don’t even need a CMS at this point. I moved off WordPress to Hugo and SFTP and i’m happier than a pig in shit. Shit loads fast and no external threats.

• @saltesc@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        14 hours ago

I haven’t done web work for well over a decade and recently was surprised to learn that Wordpress is still very relevant. I remember back then, seeking alternatives as we expected it to become more of a legacy thing a few years down the track, so we were on the lookout for future-proofing client sites with a better foundation. At that point it was a decade old and annoying af because it morphed into a messy way of doing websites because people misused it’s original purpose. Brain had to think like a blog and then trick it into doing what you want, kind of like using tables to structure pages before CSS-P saved the day.

• SouthFresh
        link
        fedilink
        English
        2520 hours ago

Wordpress is the Excel of CMSs. It can do just about anything, but at this point it barely manages content well.

• Echo Dot
          link
          fedilink
          English
          48 hours ago

That’s a great analogy actually. You can do almost anything with it but what the vast majority of people choose to do with it is wrong.

Just like how people insist on using Excel as a database or Excel as a form.

• nocturne
      link
      fedilink
      English
      517 hours ago

Any suggestions for a free easy to use alternative to wp?

• nocturne
          link
          fedilink
          English
          816 hours ago

Wix was not free when I looked last, I cannot stand using websites that use Shopify.

I will look into some of those others.

• @Lost_My_Mind@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -1417 hours ago

I have one that you may not like, but fits your description.

I don’t know what wordpress is, so I would suggest just not bothering at all with whatever that is. Maybe use wordpad.

• AatubeOP
          link
          fedilink
          717 hours ago

that’s a local text editor. CMSes are for e.g. hosting blogs

• nocturne
          link
          fedilink
          English
          316 hours ago

I am sure I can make an amazing website with wordpad. Thanks!

• @jqubed@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      418 hours ago

I have off-and-on searched for alternative software for personal blogs that can be self-hosted and it doesn’t seem like there are many options anymore. The only ones I’ve seen are WriteFreely and FlatPress. Are there any other options you’re aware of?

link
        fedilink
        English
        418 hours ago

Depends on if you need a CMS, or if you can use a static site generator.

For a CMS, I’m still a fan of Ghost and it has (mostly) not enshittified to the point it’s unpleasant to use.

If you don’t need the whole CMS thing, there’s an awful lot of options. (And hosting them is super simplified since you can just stuff the output into a S3 bucket/Cloudflare Pages/Github Pages/a dozen other providers for basically free.)

• AatubeOP
        link
        fedilink
        318 hours ago

There’s Contao, Drupal, Blogger, Shopify, Wix, Squarespace…

• Echo Dot
          link
          fedilink
          English
          28 hours ago

Shopify seems like it was purposely designed to be as dreadful as possible. They seemed to go out of their way to make dumb decisions.

• AatubeOP
            link
            fedilink
            317 hours ago

That’s fair. Interesting how blanket advertising often means the opposite of better.

• @ravhall
    link
    English
    319 hours ago

Wordpress is junk.