• Lad
    link
    fedilink
    English
    52 hours ago

It’s true. It irks me to see older people claim that autism/ADHD/anxiety etc. didn’t exist in the past. Not only is it an attempt to invalidate people’s experiences, but it’s pure bullshit.

For example, what we today know as PTSD was characterised as “cowardice” during WW1. Do they really want us to go back to that?

• @Simulation6@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      31 hour ago

I am sure this still goes on today in some cases. Also, PTSD was called shell shocked during WWI and was recognized as a medical condition, it was just that there was no idea what was causing it so a lot of people did not think it really existed.

• @RandomVideos@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    355 hours ago

Its because the techniques to make people autistic are advancing. It used to be only a type of vaccine. Now its all vaccines, masks, phones, books and bread

• @Sam_Bass@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    74 hours ago

yeah i got dropped into a state run childrens home for a couple years cause my mom couldnt handle it by herself

• @ShareMySims@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    446 hours ago

Bonus points if your boomer parent got a ND diagnosis in their 50s, yet still refuses to believe that neurodiversity was just as much a thing when they were young as when you were, it was just ignored harder, as they actively ignore your ND diagnosis that you finally got independent of them in your 20s or 30s.

• @The_v@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      84 hours ago

My boomer mother has never been diagnosed as far as I know. . She is obviously on the autism spectrum towards what used to be called aspergers. Add in a violent streak, some narcissistic tendencies, religious extremism, and deeply ingrained racism to the mix to make it extra spicy.

I haven’t seen or spoken to her in more than a decade but I doubt anything has changed.

link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        4 hours ago

I’m in a similar boat (E: things were always worse with the parent who would never seek diagnosis), cutting contact was the best decision I’ve ever made for myself.

• @MelodiousFunk@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      135 hours ago

I don’t want the bonus points, I just want my mom to get the help she needs. But no… she’s stubborn, prideful, etc. And even though she’s a huge bigot and I want to punch her in the face, she’s still my mom.

link
        fedilink
        English
        145 hours ago

Personally I realised that if being related meant so little to them to treat me the way they did, there’s no reason it should mean much to me, so I did what was healthiest for me for a change and cut contact. I wish you the best of luck getting her help (seriously), but you shouldn’t be suffering just because someone is related to you.

• Diplomjodler
    link
    fedilink
    English
    597 hours ago

There was no mental illness in the good old days. Just alcoholism. A lot of alcoholism. Those things of course have nothing to do with each other.

• @frezik@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      257 hours ago

And nicotine. If you didn’t smoke yourself, you still got it secondhand. Most of the post-WWII era in America had everyone at least mildly on a psychoactive substance 24/7.

• @MutilationWave@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          159 minutes ago

90% of diagnosed schizophrenics smoke cigarettes. I don’t think they’ve found the mechanism but something in the tobacco helps manage their symptoms.

• Semi-Hemi-Lemmygod
          link
          fedilink
          English
          63 hours ago

No, that’s probably because of the Hayes Code, which limited the sorts of things you could show on TV. People don’t remember the real 1950s, just the film and TV of it.

• @Anivia@feddit.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            75 hours ago

How hard is it to read the article you posted? They didn’t sell methamphetamine to housewives, it was amphetamine. That is a VERY big difference

• flicker
              link
              fedilink
              English
              23 hours ago

As a woman with crippling ADHD, I can’t imagine the horror of trying the new wonder drug, discovering it helped me keep the house and avoid being beaten, and then eventually having to go back to doing without…

• Kelly Aster 🏳️‍⚧️
    link
    fedilink
    English
    126 hours ago

Ah, the shitty narcissistic boomer assumption that anything “new” must be a lie. Yeah, people all over the fucking world are making up neurodivergence, queerness, and food allergies just to be difficult, right?

• @Nuke_the_whales@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    217 hours ago

Wasn’t the spectrum expanded in the last 20 years? That in itself would raise the numbers. If I may play Devil’s advocate, a level 1 or even a level 2 autistic person back in the day may have been seen as a bit eccentric or weird, but would overall pass for a neurotypical person and manage to hold a job, have a normal life if with some difficulty. So boomers probably knew quite a few people on the spectrum but just thought of them as just odd but good people.

I grew up in a place where the word autism isn’t even in the vocabulary and thinking back, there’s at least a few people I can now look back on and say they were autistic, even if we didn’t know the term then.

• @disguy_ovahea@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    7 hours ago

Then there was the transitional phase of Gen X calling them all gay or retarded before Millennials introduced acceptance.

• @DandomRude@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    -23 hours ago

What’s with the boomer stuff? Does the internet really need any bogeymen to blame for everything bad? Seems to be the case. So it’s hardly surprising that people like Trump are so successful. It’s the same thing, just packaged differently